Welcome to Alan's FUN Trivia Quizzes...
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia >> ... Am I >>Where Am I? Ultimate Place Names >> AZ Place Names

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Trivia Quizzes
...Am I
American Civics
Business
Classic Cartoons
Greatest Hits
Food and Drink
Holiday
Movie
Music
National Parks
Old West

Rock and Roll
Sports
Stars, Movie & TV

TV Shows

Ultimate Place Names
US Geography
US History
US Military History
US States History Made Easy
Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Yavapai County, Arizona  Place Names Trivia

These are all well known Ultimate Yavapai County, Arizona Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) Known in Yavapai as Wikanyacha "rough, black range of rocks", and to European explorers as the Silver Mountain Range. I am a mountain range in the Sonoran Desert of central Arizona. , later named for two brothers.  My first known settlements are a group of Yavapai Indians, called the Kwevkapaya who built forts and mined copper from around AD 1100 to 1600. Apaches occupied the area around 1800 as a means of keeping White settlers out.

But by 1863, a party led by brother William is in the area, followed by the Walker party. In 1864, a group of five white settlers are attacked by Apaches at what is now called Battle Flat. One of the settlers went for help, but upon his return found the Apaches had left. The Walker party finds gold, and within a few years, I am filling up with settlers mining for gold, silver, and copper. In the early part of the 1900s, most of the towns that have sprung up are little more than ghost towns.

I am located approximately 5 miles south of Prescott, Arizona, between the Agua Fria River on the east, and the Hassayampa River on the west, the range is 40 miles long, and almost 25 miles wide.
Where Am I?

• Bradshaw Mountains
  • White Tank Mountains
  • Brother Mountains
  • Crook Mountains

2) I am a mountain located in Yavapai County, Arizona. My peak is the high point of the mountain chain, and of Yavapai County. I am flanked to the northeast by Mount Davis. My elevation is 7,979 feet.
Where Am I?

• Mazatzal Peak
  • Aztec Peak
  • Scott Mountain
  • Mount Union

3) I am an unincorporated community in Yavapai County, Arizona, located at an elevation of 5,771 feet. The site of a former gold mining town, Crown King is 28 miles west of Interstate 17 on Senator Highway. The community is named after the mine, but the name is shortened in 1888.  While over US$2,000,000 in gold is taken from the mine alone, the mines has been closed since the 1950's and for the past half-century tourism has been the only reliable source of income in the area.

The first recorded gold claim is "Buckeye" and is filed by Rod McKinnon on July 1, 1875. Over the next 40 years, more than 15 mines or claims were made in the area.  At its height, the town had 500 buildings, including several company stores and boarding houses, two Chinese restaurants and a post office. The town was electrified by 1897 and had one telephone at that time.
Where Am I?

• Crown King
  • Reedville
  • Ryan Town
  • Manington

4) I am a ghost town in the Bradshaw Mountains of Yavapai County, Arizona, named for nearby creek. Established in 1863, I serve as a stagecoach stop and an outpost for the U.S. Cavalry; with a post office established in 1879. With the demise of the stagecoach and the mining in the surrounding area, I eventually faded away. An attempt to make the town a tourist attraction during the mid 1930s results in the construction of the current buildings; several of the buildings still stand and are occupied.
Where Am I?

• Bumble Bee
  • Camp Verde
  • Jones Cove
  • Highland Heights

5) I am a ghost town in Yavapai County, Arizona. The ghost town is settled during the frontier days of 1875 as a mining camp until abandoned in 1896. I am founded by E.G. Peck, the owner of the Peck Mine, a famous mining company at the time. One day in June 1875 while walking through the mountains, Peck notices a peculiar rock partly underground. After examination, the rock proves to be pure silver and I am founded. I am located in Peck Canyon and is named after a founder and the first lady to be at the town. A long mountain road separated the town from Mayer. The silver ore produced from the mine is taken via pack train through mountains to Aztlan Mill, thirty miles away.
Where Am I?

• Alexandra
  • Helena
  • Margarita
  • Elizabeth Town

6) I am an ghost town in Yavapai County, Arizona. I lay along the road that has replaced Murphy's Impossible Railroad between Cordes and Crown King. In 1864, I am established as a placer gold mining site under the name Turkey Creek Mining District. A post office is established at Turkey Creek in July 1869 but closes within three months. Turkey Creek is renamed to my name in 1925, after he toakes possession of the town from Levrett P. Nellis. He then names the post office after himself. The post office closes July 15, 1954. My population falls in the 1920s as mining in the area declined and the town is put up for sale in April 1949. I then have about 60 residents. My namesake�s son Thomas buys the town and lives here until his death in 1996. He keeps the small bar open most of the years he lives there. After his death everything is inherited by his sister Eleanor and her son.
Where Am I?

• Jamestown
  • Cleator
  • Garyville
  • Allentown

7) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Yavapai County, Arizona. My population is 1,408 at the 2000 census. I include three sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Mayer Apartments, Mayer Business Block, and Mayer Red Brick Schoolhouse. The 1993-1994 CBS comedy/western television series Harts of the West, starring Beau Bridges and his father, Lloyd Bridges, is filmed here but set in Nevada.
Where Am I?

• Mayer
  • Irene
  • Morgan
  • Cerde

8) I am a mining camp in Yavapai County, Arizona, it is now a ghost town. Originally established in the 1860s, I am a haven for many of the early pioneers of Arizona. The town dies out in the mid to late 1880s. When gold ss discovered in the mountains, dozens of ghost town spring up around and on top of the mountains over time. The City is named after the man who first discover gold around the area in 1863. The Mining District is also named after him. I am found on the northwest side of Mount Wasson. At first the settlement is literally a camp but due to the vast pine forests all over the mountains, stone and lumber was quickly used to build permanent structures.

Multiple saloons, stores, restaurants, a barber shop, a stage and a meat market along with two hotels accommodated the large population of around 5,000. My nearest major settlement is Prescott, thirty miles away. Settlers can travel for free on the only wagon accessible road.
Where Am I?

• Bradshaw City
  • Wasson City
  • Budtown
  • Mantooth

9) I am a ghost town located in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. I am established in 1883. I am originally destined to be called Antelope Junction, however, the application for a post office in that name is denied in 1883. The reason is that there was already an Antelope Station in Arizona. That town is now called Stanton. The second name that is chosen is his own, which was approved. The post office closes in 1944 and the town is abandoned in the 1950s.
Where Am I?

• Cordes
  • Cummings
  • Rogers
  • Allen

10) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. The population is 2,697 at the 2000 census. I have been known by several names in the past, including Goddard, and Canon. I am a stage stop on the Phoenix to Prescott line, a military stopover en route to Fort Whipple and Fort Verde during Territorial days, and a supply center for mines in the southern mountains. The area is first settled by Americans in the 1870s, and the first post office is established as Canon in 1894. A famous early settler is Jack Swilling, who moves here in 1871. His house still stands, and is the oldest building in the community.
Where Am I?

• Swilling
  • Black Canyon City
  • Jackson
  • Yankton

Check Your Answers

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Yavapai County, Arizona Place Names Trivia
[Answers]

1. Bradshaw Mountains
  2. Mount Union
  3. Crown King