Welcome to Alan's FUN Trivia Quizzes...
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia >> ... Am I >>Where Am I? Ultimate Place Names >> HI Place Names

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Trivia Quizzes
...Am I
American Civics
Business
Classic Cartoons
Greatest Hits
Food and Drink
Holiday
Movie
Music
National Parks
Old West
Place Names
Rock and Roll
Sports
Stars, Movie & TV

TV Shows

US Geography
US History
US Military History
US States History Made Easy
Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Maui, Hawaii Place Names Trivia

The island of Maui is the second-largest of the Hawaiian Islands at 727.2 square miles and is the United States' 17th largest island.

These are all well known Maui Hawaii Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, Hawaii. My population is 12,296 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Maui County.
In the early 20th century I am the main tourist destination on Maui, though it has since been eclipsed with the rise of the resort towns such as Kaʻanapali, so much that there are no hotels to speak of in Wailuku.

My historic sites include Kaahumanu Church (named after one of Hawaii's great monarchs, Queen Kaahumanu) which dates to 1876, and the Bailey House, also a 19th century relic that is home to a history museum. There are two ancient temples near me, called heiaus the Halekii Heiau and the Pihanakalani Heiau. Both date back hundreds of years, and are used for religious purposes by the native Hawaiians.
Where Am I?

• Himanna
  • Nomuka
  • Wailuku
  • Alania

2) In Hawaiian, my name means "cloud supreme". I am a lush, stream-cut valley in West Maui, Hawaii. Because of its natural beauty and historical significance, I have become a popular tourist location. The state park is located on 6.2 acres at the end of the road (Highway 32). My needle (Kūkaemoku) is a famous landmark in the state park, a vegetation-covered lava remnant rising 1,200 feet from the valley floor or 2,250 feet when measured from sea level. The needle is surrounded by the cliffs of the West Maui Mountains, an extinct volcano. One can take a short trail to a windy overlook. Park hours are from 7 am to 7 pm.

I am covered in dense rainforest, most of which consists of introduced vegetation on the valley floor. The summit area at the valley's head receives an average 386 inches of rainfall per year, making it the state's second wettest location after Mount Waialeale. Much of this rainfall ends up flowing into the stream. Trails in the State Park run alongside the stream and through the forest.

The Hawaiian god Kāne is considered to be the procreator and the provider of life. He is associated with wai (fresh water) as well as clouds, rain, streams and springs. Kanaloa, the Hawaiian god of the underworld, is represented by the phallic stone of the theNeedle.
Kapawa, the king of Hawaii prior to Pili, is buried here. Maui's ruler Kakaʻe, in the late 15th century, designates me as an aliʻi burial ground. The remains are buried in secret places. In 1790 the Battle of Kepaniwai took place there, in which Kamehameha the Great defeated Kalanikūpule and the Maui army during his campaign to unify the islands. The battle is said to be so bloody that dead bodies blocked the stream, and the battle site is named Kepaniwai ("the damming of the waters").
Where Am I?

• Manning Valley
  • Yuma Valley
  • Iao Valley
  • Cody Valley

3) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, on the island of Maui, Hawaii. I am the largest community on the island, it lies on the north shore of central Maui. I hosts Maui's main airport, deep-draft harbor, light industrial areas, and commercial shopping centers. My population is 20,146 at the 2000 census. I am the retail center for Maui residents and there are several malls and major stores (including department stores in the Queen Kaahumanu Center);
Where Am I?

• Kona
  • Kapital
  • Kahului
  • Kinda

4) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, Hawaii, United States. My population is 709 at the 2000 census. I am located at the eastern end of the island of Maui and is one of the most isolated communities in the state. I can be reached mainly via my Highway, a long, winding, 52 mile long highway along Maui's northern shore.
Near me are several swimming holes
Where Am I?

• Harvey
  • Hana
  • Gomer
  • Rockstars

5) I am known to the Hawaiians as Mauna Kahalawai and Hale Mahina, form a much eroded shield volcano that constitutes the western one-quarter of the Hawaiian Island of Maui.

The Hawaiian name for the mountains is "Kahalewai", meaning House of Water. Another name is Hale Mahina means House of the Moon. It is believed that these mountains are named for the Goddess Hina of the Moon.

Established in 1988, Puʻu Kukui is the largest private nature preserve in the State of Hawaii. Since 1994, the 8,661-acre preserve has been managed by Maui Land & Pineapple Company in participation with The Nature Conservancy and the State Natural Area Partnership. These groups work together to protect the watershed lands of the West Maui mountain.
Where Am I?

• West Maui Mountains
  • Volcano Shield
  • Kona Heights
  • Kingdom Mountains

6) I am a large bay in the southwestern coast of Maui, in the Hawaiian islands. Several small towns are located close to the bay, notably the town which shares my name.
Where Am I?

• Maalaea Bay
  • Sugar Cane Bay
  • Dole Bay
  • Aces Bay

7) I am a massive shield volcano that forms more than 75% of the Hawaiian Island of Maui. Early Hawaiians apply the name Haleakalā ("house of the sun") to the summit area only, most likely because from the west side of the island, the sun could be seen rising up over the eastern side of the mountain. In Hawaiian folklore, the depression at the summit of is home to the grandmother of the demigod Maui. According to the legend, Maui's grandmother helps him capture the sun and force it to slow its journey across the sky in order to lengthen the day. In modern times, I have become synonymous with the entire East Maui volcano.

From the summit one looks down into a massive depression some 7 miles across, 2 miles wide, and nearly 2,600 feet deep. The surrounding walls are steep and the interior mostly barren-looking with a scattering of volcanic cones. The potentially active volcano has produced numerous eruptions in the last 30,000 years, including in the last 500 years.
Where Am I?

• Haleakala
  • Hinika
  • Hollaka
  • Highmai

8) I am the largest census-designated place (CDP) in West Maui, Maui County, Hawaii, the gateway to the famous beach resorts north of the community. As of the 2000 Census, the CDP had a resident population of 9,118. I encompasses the coast along Hawaii Route 30 from a tunnel at the south end, through Olawalu up the CDP of Napili-Honokowai is to the north. During the heavy tourist seasons, the population can swell to nearly 40,000 people. Before Hawaii's annexation by the United States, I am the "Royal Capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom" as city signs proclaim. In the 1800s, I am the center of the global whaling industry with many sailing ships anchored in at its waterfront; today a score of pleasure craft make their home there.

I am the royal capital of Maui Loa, 5th Moi of Maui, after he ceded the royal seat of Hana to King of Hawaii Island. The focus of activity is along Front Street, which dates back to the 1820s. It is lined with stores and restaurants, and is often packed with tourists. Banyan Tree Square features an exceptionally large banyan tree planted in 1873 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of the missionaries. It is also the site of the reconstructed ruins of my Fort, originally built in 1832. My name means "cruel sun" in the Hawaiian language, describing the sunny dry climate. I average only 13 inches of rain per year, much of which occurs from December through February.
Where Am I?

• Lamboy
  • Hanamana
  • Lahaina
  • Turtletown

9) I am a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, Hawaii. My population is 1,375 at the 2000 census. I began as an Amfac development in the 1960s, on my mile-long beach, on the western shore of Maui, a couple miles north of the old whaling town. Since that time, many more hotels and condos have been built both on my beach and for several miles up and down the coast, and the whaling town has turned into a tourist shopping Mecca.
Where Am I?

• Kaanapali
  • Kannannu
  • Karmina
  • Kiresas

10) I am a 294-acre botanical garden located on the Hana Highway (close to the 31-mile marker). I am one of five gardens of the non-profit National Tropical Botanical Garden.
I was established in 1972 on Maui's northern coast, with rugged black lava seascapes, and is surrounded by one of Hawaii's last undisturbed hala (Pandanus tectorius) forests. I also contains the Piilanihale Heiau, a National Historic Landmark believed to be the largest ancient temple in Polynesia. Dating from the 16th century, it is constructed from basalt blocks and is 341 feet by 415 feet in extent, with a 50-foot high front wall.
Where Am I?

• Kahanu Garden
  • Garden Helena
  • King Kaduna Garden
  • Miahuna Garden

Check Your Answers

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Maui, Hawaii Place Names Trivia
[Answers]

1. Wailuku
  2. Iao Valley
  3. Kahului