Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

What's My West Virginia State Forest Place Names? Trivia

These are all well known West Virginia State Forest Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am a 8,125-acre state forest in Wayne County, West Virginia.  My dense forest is restored and its facilities are constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) throughout the 1930s and 1940s.   I take my name from the four surrounding counties. My elevation is 994 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Waykango State Forest
  • Kanilinc State Forest
  • Gototown State Forest
  • Cabwaylingo State Forest

2) I am a 9,482-acre state forest in eastern Pocahontas and Greenbrier counties, West Virginia. The forest is the newest in West Virginia's system, having been mostly purchased in 1953 from New River Lumber Company. The forest is named for Marlinton newspaper editor.

I am located immediately adjacent to a state park, which itself is originally a state forest prior to 1934. Because of its proximity, I have not been extensively developed. There is a limited amount of primitive camping. Over two-thirds of me is only accessible by hiking.

I am easily accessible via Pocahontas County Road 21 (Beaver Creek Road) from Huntersville.  For approximately 2 miles, CR 21 serves as the border between the state park and me. A series of signs mark each side of the roadway as hunting is permitted in me, while it is not in the state park. My elevation 2,730 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Art Link State Forest
  • Jennings Hightower State Forest
  • Sam McCoy State Forest
  • Calvin Price State Forest

3) I am located in the northern part of Mercer County, 16 miles north of Princeton and 19 miles south of Beckley. The forest comprises 5,269 acres, 487 acres of the original Forest were made a State Park by the Legislature in 1988.

The area in and around me is rich in history and has played an important part in the development of this section of the county. My name Camp Creek is derived because the area is considered good for camping by the troops during the Civil War. At the turn of the twentieth century, a grist mill, band saw, and store are established in the Campbell�s Falls area of the Forest. 

Mountaintop farms removed about one third of the original forest. The original forest is primarily oak and chestnut on the ridges with yellow poplar, hemlock and white pine occupying the bottoms. My elevation is 2,037 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Camp Creek State Forest
  • Leesburg State Forest
  • Fort Creek State Forest
  • Cummings Creek State Forest

4) I am a 12,747-acre state forest in Monongalia and Preston counties in West Virginia. My southern edge abuts Cheat Lake and the canyon section of Cheat River, a popular whitewater rafting river in the eastern US. Much of me is originally developed by projects of the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1936-1942. Many of my structures, including durable rustic picnic shelters made of American chestnut, exist today and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

I provide a diverse array of recreational opportunities. While the forest itself is open year-round, the main entrance to the southern portion of the park is closed each year from December 1 to March 31. During the winter, visitors will need to park at the first lot off I-68 and walk in.  My elevation is 2,159 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Prestons Rocks State Forest
  • Whites Rock State Forest
  • Coopers Rock State Forest
  • Gowers Rock State Forest

5) I am a 5,133-acre state forest between Lewisburg and White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. I am located on Harts Run, a tributary of Howard Creek, and contains historic Kate's Mountain.

I feature 13 miles of hiking trails, many of which are also suitable for mountain biking. There is a heated pool, numerous picnic sites with three shelters, archery range, muzzleloading rifle range, horseshoes and volleyball.  A naturalist provides nature and recreational events during the summer months.

Hunting and fishing are permitted; state licenses are required.  Accommodations include 12 one- and two-bedroom cabins, and 16 campsites with electric hookups and water available at the central bathhouse.
My elevation is 3,169 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Greenbrier State Forest
  • Thomas State Forest
  • Davis State Forest
  • Clair State Forest

6) I am is a 9,300-acre recreation area located near the community of Loudendale, West Virginia, which is about 7 miles from downtown Charleston, West Virginia, United States. I am managed by the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources. While still classified as a "state forest", the West Virginia Legislature has directed that the facility be managed as a state park.

Recreational opportunities include: overnight camping, picnicking, hiking, public shooting-range, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, and swimming pool and playground. My elevation is 741 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Chief Joseph State Forest
  • Kanawha State Forest
  • Cabin Creek State Forest
  • Wests State Forest

7) I am a state forest in southern Randolph County, West Virginia. I am located along the western edge of the Allegheny Highlands atop Rich Mountain. The 9,474 acres of forest range from 3,000 to 3,930 feet above sea level, making me the state's highest forest. Acquired in 1934, the forest derives its unusual name from the three prominent families, who were instrumental in the purchase of the land. My facilities include fully equipped pioneer cabins, campsites, bathhouse with laundry, and picnic areas.
What's My Place Name?

• Marmaccop State Forest
  • Kumbrabow State Forest
  • Whinotmee State Forest
  • Easbakbut State Forest

8) I am a state forest located in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. At 11,684 acres, I am the second-largest state forest in West Virginia. Some cabins provided are rustic pioneer cabins and accessible cabins. All the cabins have the following characteristics: fireplaces, gas lights, wood-burning cook-stoves, no running water or electricity, water from hand-pumped wells, are equipped for housekeeping, have cots and cribs available at additional charge, are free swimming privileges at nearby State Park, and free boats on my lake for cabin guests. My elevation is 3,245 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Hatboro State Forest
  • Williams State Forest
  • Hatfield State Forest
  • Seneca State Forest

9) I am a Wildlife Management Area is a former state forest located along a creek in southwestern McDowell County, West Virginia.  I am 7,820 acres in size and my elevation is 1,650 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Cougar State Forest
  • Panther State Forest
  • Black Bear State Forest
  • Mountain Lion State Forest

10) I am the largest of West Virginia's state parks, covering slightly over 10,100 acres. I am located near Seebert in Pocahontas County, West Virginia.

The land that forms the nucleus of me is originally acquired in January 1925, when the park is initially planned to be a state forest. In May 1934, a decision is made to instead develop the site as a state park. Much of the development on the site is done by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the park was first opened on July 1, 1937.

My features include: 36 cabins, 2 campgrounds with 88 total campsites, restaurant and commissary, swimming pool, 11-acre fishing lake, horseback riding, hiking trails, Brooks Memorial Arboretum, Ann Bailey Lookout Tower, Greenbrier River Trail. My elevation is 2,894 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Simpson Creek State Forest
  • Watoga State Forest
  • Grand Rapids State Forest
  • Cedar Creek State

Check Your Answers

What's My West Virginia State Forest Place Names? Trivia [Answers]

1. Cabwaylingo State Forest
  2. Calvin Price State Forest
  3. Camp Creek State Forest
  4. Coopers Rock State Forest
  5. Greenbrier State Forest