Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

What's My Harrison County, West Virginia Place Name? Trivia

Harrison County is a county located West Virginia. As of 2000, the population is 68,652. It is created in 1784, formed from Monongalia County and named for Benjamin Harrison V, a Virginian who is the father of William Henry Harrison, ninth President of the United States and great-grandfather of Benjamin Harrison, twenty-third president.

These are all well known Harrison County, West Virginia Place Names. I will give you some information and you pick the correct place. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

These are all well known Harrison County, West Virginia Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am a city in the North-Central region of West Virginia. I am the county seat of Harrison County, and the principal city of the local Micropolitan Statistical Area. My population is 16,743 at the 2000 census.

The first documented visitor here is John Simpson, a trapper, who in 1764 located his camp on the river opposite the mouth of a nearby creek.

As early as the year 1772 settlers begin locating their lands near me, and in 1773 Daniel Davisson takes up 400 acres, upon which the principal part of the town is now located. The year 1774 finds the following persons settled in my neighborhood, Daniel Davisson, Thomas Nutter, Samuel Cottrill, Sotha Hickman, Samuel Beard, Andrew Cottrill, Obadiah Davisson, John Nutter, Matthew Nutter and Amaziah Davisson. There are no doubt others located on public lands of which no official record is made.

I am formed in 1785 in Virginia. The city is named for a general, who gained great fame on the frontier by his many expeditions against the British and Indians in the Indian Wars and the war of the American Revolution, particularly by his bold capture, in 1778, of the Fort of Vincennes now in the Indiana.
What's My Place Name?

• Philipsburg
  • Clarksburg
  • Rogersburg
  • Martinsburg

2) The West Fork River is I am a principal tributary of the Monongahela River, 103 miles long, in north-central West Virginia. Via the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, I am part of the watershed of the Mississippi River, draining an area of 881 square miles on the unglaciated portion of the Allegheny Plateau. In Harrison County, I collect four tributaries.
What's My Place Name?

• North Fork River
  • West Fork River
  • Harrison River
  • Rogers River

3) I am a city in Harrison County, West Virginia. My population is 7,306 at the 2000 census.

I begin in pre-Revolutionary War times. In 1764, a trapper enters the area and give his name to a nearby creek. I am chartered in 1816. When I am incorporated in 1887, I establish the office of mayor and town council.

When the trapper enters my area in 1764, he is attracted by the plentiful supply of fur-bearing animals. The men to follow him are also trappers and the fur trade is my first business. As the settlers came and cleared land, timber was sold, and the lumber trade became another area business.

The first mill of which there is official record is the Johnson Mill, which Harvey W. Harmer describes as the first mill in me in his Old Grist Mills of Harrison County. This gristmill is constructed by James Anderson sometime between 1771 and 1787.
What's My Place Name?

• Bridgeport
  • Johnstown
  • Charles Town
  • Gristport

4) I am a bridge that are 14.25-foot-wide, 75-foot-long multiple-kingpost truss. I am built in 1881 by Asa Hugill. The current location of the bridge is not my original location. It is washed out by a flood in July 1889 and later relocated to my current location a half-mile upstream from its original spot. I am one of the two remaining covered bridges in Harrison County, an example of the truss design. Today, you find me along the Meadowbrook Road.
What's My Place Name?

• Fletcher Covered Bridges
  • Simpson Creek Covered Bridge
  • Hanover Creek Covered Bridge
  • Davisson Creek Covered Bridge

5) I am a town in Harrison County, West Virginia, incorporated in 1923. Since 1996, I have held the West Virginia Blackberry Festival during the first weekend of August. The population was 1,686 at the 2000 census. I am also home to the Harrison County Sheriffs Department and the Harrison County Bureau of Emergency Services.

Arriving in the early 1770s, the families of brothers are early European settlers to western Virginia. The one brother has received a land grant for 1,400 acres of land along. Together with the other settlers, they constructed a fort in 1772, said to have been one of the strongest forts south of Fort Pitt. Located on the eastern side of the creek, the fort is used by the Virginia state militia from 1776-1780 in conflicts with American Indians.
What's My Place Name?

• Fort Pringle
  • Nutter Fort
  • Fort Simpson
  • Rogers Fort

6) I am a tributary of the river in north-central West Virginia. I am part of the watershed of the Mississippi River, draining an area of 121 square miles on the unglaciated portion of the Allegheny Plateau. The stream is believed to have been named by an 18th century trapper and hunter, who encountered herds along the stream.
I rise approximately six miles southwest of Philippi in western Barbour County and flows generally west-northwestwardly into Harrison County.
According to the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, approximately 70% of my watershed is forested, mostly deciduous. Approximately 22% is used for pasture and agriculture, and approximately 3% is urban.
What's My Place Name?

• Cow Creek
  • Elk Creek
  • Deer Creek
  • Sheep Creek

7) I am a city in Harrison County, West Virginia. My population is 2,006 at the 2000 census. I am located at the junction of U.S. Route 50 and West Virginia Route 23; the North Bend Rail Trail passes through the city. I am located at along river fork, a tributary of a local creek. I am settled by Seventh Day Baptists (the Davis and Randolph families among them).

I have a history of large fires. The same full city block has burned down twice in the city's history. The north side of Main Street downtown burns once in 1901 and again on March 2, 2006.
What's My Place Name?

• Allegheny
  • Riverton
  • Salem
  • Ash Fork

8) I am a tributary of the West Fork River in north-central West Virginia. I am a part of the watershed of the Mississippi River, draining an area of 126 square miles on the unglaciated portion of the Allegheny Plateau. According to the Geographic Names Information System, I have also been known historically as Coal Bank Creek.
Me and my watershed are located entirely in western and northern Harrison County. It rises in the southwestern part of the county, approximately 8 miles west of West Milford, and flows northwardly and northeastwardly to the town of Lumberport, where it joins the local river from the southwest. My tributaries drains the a local city and the other creek flows southeastwardly through northwestern Harrison County.
According to the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, approximately 81% of my watershed is forested, mostly deciduous. Approximately 13% is used for pasture and agriculture, and less than 1% is urban.
What's My Place Name?

• Davisson Run
  • Paladin Wash
  • Kingdom Creek
  • Tenmile Creek

9) I am a city in Harrison County, West Virginia, along the river. My population is 2,295 at the 2000 census.

My settlement dates to the 1778 building of log house, whom I am named after. In 1815, I am laid out with three streets running parallel with the river and with four crossing streets running at right angles to them. I am incorporated in 1852 by an act of the Virginia Legislature, as West Virginia does not yet exist as an independent state, and Solomon S. Fleming is elected the first mayor. A new charter is secured in 1877 and the my name is changed.

In the its beginnings I am built around both Grain Mills and Saw Mills. In my early years, I see the development of a tannery, wagon makers and undertaker, mercantile interests, a pottery, and a local newspaper. In 1890, the railroad comes to me. A trolley operates from 1906 to 1947.

I am almost completely destroyed by a violent tornado before 9:00 PM EDT on June 23, 1944, during the 1944 Appalachians tornado outbreak, which hit the Midwest and Middle Atlantic regions of the United States on June 22-23, 1944. It is and still remains the worst tornado outbreak ever to hit the state of West Virginia.
What's My Place Name?

• Bridgeport
  • McKay
  • Harper
  • Shinnston

10) Outside the Harrison County, county seat is a large Indian mound and to the west of it is a smaller mound. I have never been totally excavated but they are probably built by the Hopewell culture between A. D. 1 and 1000. The larger mound is about 12 feet high and 60 feet in diameter. A number of burials of important persons of the culture probably occurred in these mounds.

My historical marker sign is located on County Rt. 98 beside the Veterans Administration Hospital. The sign reads: Directly to the east are two earthen, domed burial mounds. The larger mound is some sixty feet in diameter and twelve feet high. Excavations in 1969 reveals flint tools, pottery shards and skeletal remains of two individuals. The site dates to about 100 BC, late Woodland Period.
What's My Place Name?

• Oak Mounds
  • Moundsville
  • Pine Mounds
  • Maple Mounds

Check Your Answers

What's My Harrison County, West Virginia Place Name? Trivia [Answers]

1. Clarksburg
  2. West Fork River
  3. Bridgeport
  4. Simpson Creek Covered Bridge
  5. Nutter Fort