Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

What's My Blair County, Pennsylvania Place Name? Trivia

Blair County is a county located in Pennsylvania. As of 2000, the population was 129,144. It is created on February 26, 1846, from parts of Huntingdon and Bedford Counties.

These are all well known Blair County, Pennsylvania Place Names. I will give you some information and you pick the correct place. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am a borough in Blair County, Pennsylvania, on the Juniata River, 7 miles south of Altoona. I am the county seat of Blair County. In 1910, 3,734 lived here, and in 1940, 5,910 residents are counted. My population is 5,368 at the 2000 census. On my the outskirts are the Ant Hill Woods, famous for their colony of ants. Coal, iron ore, ganister, and limestone are found in the vicinity. In the past, I had foundries and machine shops, a silk mill, car works and classification yards.

From 1834 to 1854, I am an important port on Pennsylvania Main Line Canal, where the Juniata Division Canal connects to the Allegheny Portage Railroad.

The famous toy known as the Slinky is manufactured here by Poof-Slinky, Inc. (formerly James Industries, Inc.). More than a quarter billion Slinkys have been manufactured in the toy's history.

My center is frequently referred to as "The Diamond," where the buildings and parking spaces form a diamond. This area serves as the hub for parades, festivals and other town celebrations.

I am first laid out in 1796; by 1814 I consists of several houses and a tavern.  I become the main transfer point between the Pennsylvania Canal and the Portage Railroad, a gateway to western Pennsylvania.  The canal and Portage Railroad spurs industrial and commercial development in the 1830s.  In 1836, I am established as a borough.

When Blair County is organized in 1846, the I am designated the county seat. In 1903, the Pennsylvania Railroad constructs a large switching yard and US Route 22 is directed through my area.
What's My Place Name?

• Millersburg
  • Pittsburg
  • Crown King
  • Hollidaysburg

2) I am a ridge in central Pennsylvania, running east of the Allegheny Front and west of Tussey Mountain.  I lay along the southeast side of Little Juniata River and both sides of the Sinking Run, and is the westernmost ridge in its section of the Ridge-and-valley Appalachians.  The western ridge line separates the Logan Valley from the Sinking Valley.

I lay entirely in Blair County. I run from the water gap formed with Bald Eagle Mountain by the Little Juniata River at Tyrone, south to the Sinking Valley anticline fold near Altoona then north to the Canoe Valley syncline fold, where the ridge becomes Canoe Mountain, a distance of approximately 30 miles.
What's My Place Name?

• Brush Mountain
  • Handyman Mountain
  • Bradshaw Mountain
  • Incline Mountain

3) I am the first railroad constructed through the Allegheny Mountains in central Pennsylvania. I am a series of 10 inclines, approximately 36 miles long. I operate from 1834 to 1854, where I connect two canal divisions of the Main Line of Public Works of the Pennsylvania Canal from Johnstown on the west to Hollidaysburg on the east. I allow continuous barge traffic between the Ohio and the Susquehanna rivers.

Today, my remains of the railroad are preserved within a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service. The site is established on 1,296 acres in 1964 and is about 12 miles west of Altoona.
What's My Place Name?

• Philadelphia and Pittsburgh Railroad
  • Allegheny Portage Railroad
  • Schwab Overland Railroad
  • Penn Central Railroad

4) I am a borough in Blair County, Pennsylvania.  You can reach me on Pennsylvania Route 866, approximately fifteen miles from Altoona to the west and thirteen miles from Huntingdon to the east.  The streets are laid out in a grid pattern; going from the river southward are First (or Front) Street, Second Street, Third Street, and Fourth Street (east side of the borough only). Union Street and Academy Alley/Sage Hill Drive follow the same direction of Fourth Street, if it continued. The main street is High Street, which runs through the center of the borough. Going east from High Street are Spring, Liberty, and Locust Streets; going west are Plum, Black, Taylor, and Dean Streets.

Before the first settlers arrived in the vicinity of what is later called the Big Spring, this area is part of the hunting grounds of the Lenape and Shawnee.  On July 6, 1754 a treaty is signed at Albany, New York between the Iroquois and the William Penn heirs, opening up portions of the west for settlement. However, British policy forbid western expansion and is in effect until after the American Revolution.

The massacre of Captain William Phillips' Rangers takes place near Williamsburg in July 1780. Ten men are murdered after surrendering to a party of Indians. September 17, 1789 George Reynolds takes out a patent from the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania for a large tract of unsettled land surrounding the Big Spring which flows into the river.

I am founded in 1790 by Jacob Ake. Originally, I am called Aketown, the oldest borough in the current borders of Blair County.
What's My Place Name?

• Williamsburg
  • Willow Grove
  • Bridgeport
  • Folcroft

5) I am a tributary of the Juniata River in Blair County, Pennsylvania.

I am born on the slopes of the Allegheny Front south of Altoona, I am joined by the tributary at Cove Forge, and Piney Creek near Williamsburg, Pennsylvania.  I join the Raystown Branch near Ardenheim.
What's My Place Name?

• Frankstown Branch
  • Clairton Branch
  • Calvin Branch
  • Johnstown Branch

6) I am a tributary of the Juniata River in Bedford and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania.

I am a relatively small tributary of the Juniata River in Pennsylvania. I am especially small in length, less than 35 miles long, starting in Woodbury, Pennsylvania. It meanders northward along the local road and PA Route 866, eventually dumping into the Juniata River just outside of Williamsburg, Pennsylvania.

Although the stream is small, it is well known for its trout fishing, and is fished heavily during open seasons. I also serve as a valuable irrigation source for nearby farmers, who rely on my water to keep their crops healthy. My average width is about 17 feet, although its width varies from 7 feet to over 50 feet. I pose little flood hazard to homes and roadways; my streambed is well carved and quite capable of handling water increase, and there are only two instances in which I underpasses roadways.
What's My Place Name?

• Clover Creek
  • Dove Creek
  • Shamrock Creek
  • Keystone Creek

7) I am a valley in Blair and Bedford counties of central Pennsylvania.  My  width varies from 10 to 15 miles between a mountain on the east to the chain of Dunning, Loop and Lock Mountains on the west.  Almost entirely enclosed by these mountains, the only openings in the cove are at Loysburg Gap in the south, McKee Gap in the west, and at Williamsburg to the north. The floor of the valley is mostly level, with many large fertile farm fields. The southern end of the valley drains to the Raystown Branch Juniata River via Yellow Creek through Loysburg Gap, and the northern end drains to the Frankstown Branch, via Clover Creek. I am often mentioned as a landmark in early wills and records of importance.
What's My Place Name?

• Morrison's Cove
  • Pete's Valley
  • Showalter'sCove
  • Baker's Valley

8) I am a borough Blair County, Pennsylvania. My population is 2,418 at the 2000 census.
I am established around the Big Spring, a clean and dependable water source vital to the operation of a paper mill. Prior to 1866, when the first paper mill is built, I have a grist-mill hamlet with a country store at the intersection of two rural roads that lead to the mill near the spring. A grist mill, which is powered by the spring water, has operated at that location since at least the 1760s.

After 1867, as the paper mill expands, surrounding tracts of land are acquired to accommodate housing development for new workers.
What's My Place Name?

• Pulp Spring
  • Showalter Spring
  • Roaring Spring
  • Cove Spring

9) I am a 911.91-acre Pennsylvania state park in Frankstown Township in Blair County, Pennsylvania in the United States. Altoona is the nearest city. The lake, at 155 acres, is the focus of recreation at the park. I am a half mile off U.S. Route 22 near the small town of Canoe Creek. The park opens to the public in 1979 and is developed as part of an expansion effort in the 1970s to improve the state park system in Pennsylvania.

The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) and its Bureau of Parks choose me as one of "Twenty Must-See Pennsylvania State Parks".
What's My Place Name?

• Tussey Lake State Park
  • Cummings State Park
  • Walter Creek State Park
  • Canoe Creek State Park

10) I am a borough in both Cambria and Blair counties in Pennsylvania. My population is 409 at the 2000 census. I am named after the many railroad tunnels of the railroad near here. I am the third-highest elevation of towns in Pennsylvania, at 2300 feet.
What's My Place Name?

• Tunnel Peak
  • Tunnelhill
  • Railhill
  • Trainhill

Check Your Answers

What's My Blair County, Pennsylvania Place Name? Trivia [Answers]

1. Hollidaysburg
  2. Brush Mountain
  3. Allegheny Portage Railroad
  4. Williamsburg
  5. Frankstown Branch