Welcome to Alan's FUN Trivia Quizzes...
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia >> ... Am I >>Where Am I? Ultimate Place Names >> VA Place Name

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Trivia Quizzes
...Am I
American Civics
Business
Classic Cartoons
Greatest Hits
Food and Drink
Holiday
Movie
Music
National Parks
Old West
Rock and Roll
Sports
Stars, Movie & TV

TV Shows

US Geography
US History
US Military History
US States History Made Easy
Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
What's My Place Name
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Fairfax County, Virginia Place Names Trivia

Trivia powered by Prof. WalterFairfax County is a county in Northern Virginia, in the United States. As of April 2008, the estimated population of the county is 1,015,302, making it by far the most populous jurisdiction in the Commonwealth of Virginia, with about 13% of Virginia's population, and the most populous jurisdiction in the Washington Metropolitan Area.

These are all well known Fairfax County, Virginia Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

1) The town is originally called Ayr Hill, after the name of the house built by early settler John Hunter, who names it after the place of his birth, Ayr, in Scotland. The name of the town is changed in the 1850s, when a doctor named William Hendrick offers to move there if the town would rename itself after his hometown in New York state.
Where Am I?

• Huntertown
  • Vienna
  • Marbella
  • Parkersburg

2) The county courthouse is established at the corner of Old Little River Turnpike and Ox on land donated by town founder Richard Ratcliffe. The small town in the vicinity of the courthouse was then known as Earp's Corner, and in 1805 is designated the Town of Providence by an act of the Virginia General Assembly.
Where Am I?

• Dodge City
  • Ratcliffe
  • Fairfax
  • McWeeney

3) What community lies at the "crossroads" of State Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) and State Route 244 (Columbia Pike).
Where Am I?

• Bailey's Crossroads
  • Mike�s Corner
  • Hill�s Crossroads
  • Lee�s Village

4) I am a peninsula jutting into the Potomac River to the south of Washington, DC. I am surrounded also by Belmont Bay to the west, Gunston Cove to the east, and Pohick Bay to the northeast. An unincorporated community forms the southernmost section of Fairfax County, in Northern Virginia, and comprises an area of approximately 9,000 acres, two-thirds of which is preserved as parkland by regional, state, and national authorities.
Where Am I?

• Virginia Point
  • Lee�s Annex
  • Hopetown
  • Mason Neck

5) I am the originally the home of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron the proprietor of the Northern Neck, which once stood on land now on the base. After the Revolutionary War, Fairfax County revolutionaries destroy the building. Today, the mansion ruins and the nearby Fairfax grave site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The base is founded during World War I as Camp A. A. Humphreys, named for Andrew A. Humphreys. I am renamed in the 1930s to honor the historic plantation.
Where Am I?

• Dulles Air Force Base
  • Camp Rogers
  • Fort Belvoir
  • Fort Washington

6) I am an unincorporated community in Fairfax County, Virginia. I am centered between the intersections of Rolling and Telegraph Roads with Richmond Highway (U.S. Highway 1). I am adjacent to the communities of Lorton and Newington. I take my from the church which in turn is named for the creek.
Where Am I?

• Moonhill
  • Simpson
  • Pohick
  • Lawton

7) Where Am I?: Seven Corners is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia. The population was 8,701 at the 2000 census. Seven Corners has a "Falls Church" mailing address but is not within the independent City of Falls Church, Virginia. The area gets its name from the intersection of State Route 7 (Leesburg Pike and East Broad Street), U.S. Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard), Wilson Boulevard, State Route 613 (Sleepy Hollow Road), and State Route 338 (Hillwood Avenue). The junction of these five roads creates seven corners.

• True or False?

8) I am the home to Washington Dulles International Airport, which serves Washington, D.C. I am also the location of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center annex of the National Air & Space Museum and the headquarters of the National Reconnaissance Office.
Where Am I?

• Homer
  • Chantilly
  • Lawman
  • Georgia

9) I am an 18th-century Georgian mansion near the Potomac River in Mason Neck, Virginia. My house is the home of the United States Founding Father George Mason. I am located at the center of a 5500 acre plantation. My construction period is between 1755 and 1759. My design is mostly that of William Buckland, a carpenter/joiner and indentured servant from England.
Where Am I?

• Mason Plantation
  • Founding Father Hall
  • Gunston Hall
  • Martha's Hall

10) Where Am I?: Madison is a town in Fairfax County, Virginia, in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area of the United States. The population is 21,655 at the 2000 census, which makes it the largest of three towns in the county. Madison is named for Commander William Lewis Madison, American naval explorer and author of Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon. Commander Madison captains the ill-fated steamer SS Central America, going down with his ship while helping to save over 150 of its passengers and crew. The settlement is named Madison in 1858.

• True or False?

Check Your Answers

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Fairfax County, Virginia Place Names
Trivia
[Answers]

1. Vienna
  2. Fairfax
  3. Bailey's Crossroads
  4. Mason Neck
  5. Fort Belvoir
  6. Pohick
  7. True
  8. Chantilly
  9. Gunston Hall
  10. False. Herndon is a town in Fairfax County, Virginia, in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area of the United States. The population is 21,655 at the 2000 census, which makes it the largest of three towns in the county. Herndon is named for Commander William Lewis Herndon, American naval explorer and author of Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon. Commander Herndon captains the ill-fated steamer SS Central America, going down with his ship while helping to save over 150 of its passengers and crew. The settlement is named Herndon in 1858.

1 page of 1