Welcome to Alan's FUN Trivia Quizzes...
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia >> ... Am I >>Where Am I? Ultimate Place Names >> AL Place Name

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Trivia Quizzes
...Am I
American Civics
Business
Classic Cartoons
Greatest Hits
Food and Drink
Holiday
Movie
Music
National Parks
Old West
Rock and Roll
Sports
Stars, Movie & TV

TV Shows

US Geography
US History
US Military History
US States History Made Easy
Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
What's My Place Name
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Jefferson County, Alabama Place Names Trivia

Jefferson County is the most densely populated county in the state of Alabama. As of 2000 U.S. Census, the population of Jefferson County was 662,047.

These are all well known the Ultimate Jefferson County, Alabama Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am the largest city in the state of Alabama and the county seat of Jefferson County, and includes part of Shelby County. According to a 2007 estimate, the I have a population of 229,800. The Birmingham-Hoover Metropolitan Area, as of the 2008 census estimates, has a population of 1,198,932.

I am founded on June 1, 1871, by cotton gin promoters who sold lots near the planned crossing of the Alabama & Chattanooga and South & North Alabama railroads. The first business at that crossroads is the trading post and country store Yeilding's. The site of the railroad crossing is notable for the nearby deposits of iron ore, coal, and limestone � the three main raw materials used in making steel. The founders, organized as the Elyton Land Company, borrow the name of one of England's main industrial cities, to advertise this point.
Where Am I?

• Marlington
  • Mannington
  • London
  • Birmingham

2) I am a small unincorporated town located in Alabama. I am named for the Secretary-Treasurer of the Bessemer Land & Improvement Company whose principal officer is Henry F. DeBardeleben, who himself is credit as the founder of Bessemer. I am a rural community created and made popular when iron ore & coal mines in the area are operating at their peak in the early twentieth Century. Since then the community has seen growth and decline and is now experiencing an upswing in population and business.
Where Am I?

• Bolger
  • Robin
  • Adger
  • Dawson

3) Where Am I?: Hollywood is a historic district and former town annexed into Homewood, Alabama in 1929. The district is roughly bounded by U. S. Highway 31, U. S. Highway 280, and Lakeshore Drive and is significant for the architectural style of surviving houses and other buildings. Clyde Nelson began developing Hollywood Boulevard as a residential subdivision in 1926. He employed a sales force of 75, armed with the memorable slogan "Out of the Smoke Zone, Into the Ozone", to entice Birmingham residents over Red Mountain. Architect George P. Turner designed many of the new homes in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, which had become fashionably linked with the glamour of Hollywood, California in the early days of the motion picture industry there.

• True or False?

4) I am a 25-acre National Wildlife Refuge located in Jefferson County, Alabama, within the city limits of Bessemer. I consists of a .25-acre pond known as Thomas Spring which is essential to the survival of the endangered watercress darter. A second pond is built on the site in 1983. I am unstaffed, but I am administered by the Mountain Longleaf National Wildlife Refuge in Anniston, Alabama.
Where Am I?

• Sea Richens National Wildlife Refuge
  • Smart Water National Wildlife Refuge
  • Sea Otter National Wildlife Refuge
  • Watercress Darter National Wildlife Refuge

5) I am a city in Jefferson and Blount County, Alabama. At the 2000 census my population is 3,169. I take my name s from the coal fields, which J. T. Pierce opens in 1872 in the vicinity. The coal fields are named, in turn, after the river that drains them. The town, which is built on a spur of the L & N Railroad. My Post Office is established in 1872.
Where Am I?

• Creek Mark
  • Warrior
  • Indian
  • Crocket

6) Where Am I?: Waring is a large city neighborhood in Jefferson County, Alabama. It was once a separate and thriving industrial city. It is founded in 1886 by Memphis entrepreneur, Edwin Waring, Jr., as a new industrial city on the outskirts of a rapidly developing Birmingham (then just 15 years old) and directly adjacent to the Pratt coal seam. Zealously promoting and investing his own wealth in the project, Waring soon attracts the interest of the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company (TCI), which buys a controlling interest in the Waring Land Company.

• True or False?

7) The Bessemer Hall of History is a museum located in, and devoted to the history of, the city of Bessemer, Alabama. The museum is housed in a building in downtown Bessemer. I am built in 1916 and serve passengers until the Amtrak era begins in the early 1970s. The building sits unused for several years, but is reopened by the city of Bessemer in 1985, and is officially rededicated during the city's centennial observance in 1987. The museum houses a wide array of artifacts from the city's history as a mining, steelmaking, and industrial center. The museum building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Where Am I?

• Southern Railway Terminal Station
  • ATSF Railway Terminal Station
  • Lee and Jackson Railway Terminal Station
  • Pittsburgh and Birmingham Railway Terminal Station

8) I am a city of Jefferson County, Alabama. I am established in 1889, but incorporated as a city in January 1937. The incorporation comes about by reason of a rather unusual circumstance. I sit on land honeycombed by coal mines. For many years my residents have relied on water wells for their water supply. As years passed and more mining is done, Pleasant Grove finds itself confronted with a problem. Residents will sometimes go to their well to draw water only to find there was none. The water has gone into the mines. During the mid to late 30s, the Federal Government has a program for financing the building of local water systems. In exploring the possibility of securing such funds, it is revealed that in order to secure such financing a community must be legally incorporated. At this time the incorporation becomes a reality.
Where Am I?

• Walnut Grove
  • Miners Grove
  • Pleasant Grove
  • Willow Grove

9) I am the longest free-flowing river in Alabama and I am among the most scenic and biologically diverse rivers in the United States. I am a major tributary of the Alabama River and part of the larger Mobile River Basin. With headwaters near Birmingham, AL, I meander to the southwest, then at Heiberger turns southeast, and joins the Alabama River at Cahaba, Alabama (in Dallas County). Contained entirely within central Alabama, the I am 191 miles long and drain an area of 1,870 square miles.
Where Am I?

• Cahaba River
  • Hartford River
  • Concord River
  • Jugtown River

10) I am a city in Jefferson County, Alabama. My population is 11,626 at the 2000 census. 2006 Census estimates propose a population of 13,042. A large farm settlement is settled around 1825. Some years later, other settlers begin to move into the community commonly known as Jugtown, a name given to the area based on the presence of a large jug and churn factory that operates in the area. Some years later, Hettie Thomason Cargo a school teacher will lead a campaign to change my name.
Where Am I?

• Gardendale
  • Glendale
  • Gardenwood
  • Gardenhome

Check Your Answers

What's My Jefferson County, Alabama Place Name? Trivia [Answers]

1. Birmingham
  2. Adger
  3. True
  4. Watercress Darter National Wildlife Refuge
  5. Warrior
  6. False. Ensley is a large city neighborhood in Jefferson County, Alabama. It was once a separate and thriving industrial city. It is founded in 1886 by Memphis entrepreneur, Enoch Ensley, as a new industrial city on the outskirts of a rapidly developing Birmingham (then just 15 years old) and directly adjacent to the Pratt coal seam. Zealously promoting and investing his own wealth in the project, Ensley soon attracts the interest of the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company (TCI), which buys a controlling interest in the Ensley Land Company.
  7. Southern Railway Terminal Station
  8. Pleasant Grove
  9. Cahaba River
  10. Gardendale

1 page of 1