Welcome to Alan's FUN Trivia Quizzes...
Google

Web Alan's Trivia

Home >> FUN Trivia >> ... Am I >>Where Am I? Ultimate Place Names >> TX Place Name

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Trivia Quizzes
...Am I
American Civics
Business
Classic Cartoons
Greatest Hits
Food and Drink
Holiday
Movie
Music
National Parks
Old West
Rock and Roll
Sports
Stars, Movie & TV

TV Shows

Ultimate Place Names
US Geography
US History
US Military History
US States History Made Easy
Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

Where Am I?
The Ultimate Texas State Park
Place Names Trivia

These are all well known the Ultimate Texas State Park Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) Southwest of Abilene, in Taylor County, I am among a low range of hills called the Callahan Divide, in the extreme western portion of North Central Texas. Acquired in 1933 by deed from the City of Abilene, my total acreage is 529.4. Original park construction is done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) in the early 1930's. A portion of the official Texas longhorn herd and one buffalo are located on site. You discover that Comanches frequented me, using my groves of native pecan trees as campgrounds, much like the present park's picnic area. Today, I offer camping, hiking, nature study, swimming (summer), picnicking, fishing in Buffalo Wallow Pond in the park and nearby Lake Abilene, and biking and walking on park roads.
Where Am I?

• Buffalo Wallow State Park
  • Abilene State Park
  • Taylor State Park
  • Longhorn State Park

2) I am located on 45.9 acres in the foothills of the Davis Mountains in Reeves County. Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the early 1930s, I am deeded in 1934 by private owners and Reeves County Water Improvement District No. 1. I open in 1968.
San Solomon Springs has provided water for travelers for thousands of years. Artifacts indicate Indians used the spring extensively before white men came to the area. In 1849, the springs are called Mescalero Springs for the Mescalero Apache Indians who water their horses along its banks. The present name is given by the first settlers, Mexican farmers who use the water for their crops and hand-dug the first irrigation canals.

Along with motel-type accommodations, my main attraction is a large (77,053 sq. ft.) artesian spring pool that is open daily and fed by San Solomon Springs. The springs also fill a 'cienega' (desert wetland) and the canals of a refugium, home to endangered species of fish, assorted invertebrates, and turtles. The pool differs from most public pools in several respects: the 1 3/4-acre size, the 25-foot depth and the 72 to 76 degree constant temperature. It also has a variety of aquatic life in its clear waters. With a capacity of more than 3 1/2 million gallons, the pool has plenty of room for swimmers, while offering a unique setting for scuba and skin diving.

Visitors can enjoy swimming, picnicking, and camping. An honor box is located at the park entrance for those arriving after hours. Scuba divers must meet safety regulations.
Where Am I?

• San Solomon Springs State Park
  • Balmorhea State Park
  • Tonto State Park
  • Mimosa State Park

3) I am a Texas state park on the Caprock Escarpment in Briscoe County, Texas, approximately 100 miles southeast of Amarillo. I open in 1982 and cover 15,313.6 acres in size, making me the third-largest state park in Texas. In 1993, a hiking, biking, and equestrian rail trail opened that stretches through me through Floyd, Briscoe, and Hall counties. The trailway is created after the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department acquire 64.25 miles of right-of-way from the abandoned Fort Worth and Denver Railroad's lines between Estelline and the South Plains.
Where Am I?

• Fort Worth and Denver State Park and Trailway
  • Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway
  • Amarillo State Park and Trailway
  • Wayman State Park and Trailway

4) I am 2708.9 acres state park in Jeff Davis County, four miles northwest of Fort Davis, approximately halfway between Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend National Park. My original portion is deeded to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department by a local family. Original improvements are accomplished by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933; I am open to the public since the late 1930s; formal campground facilities are added in 1967. Activities include camping, sightseeing, nature study, picnicking, hiking, backpacking, day and overnight equestrian use, mountain biking, and interpretive programs. Attractions include scenic drives, two scenic overlooks, and 4 miles of hiking trails connecting with Fort Davis National Historic Site. Stargazing after closed hours on Skyline Drive is allowed; registration required at headquarters - activity fee applies.
Where Am I?

• Padre Mountain State Park
  • Davis Mountains State Park
  • Guadalupe Mountains State Park
  • Big Bend State Park

5) With 423.1 acres, I am located in Grayson County, northwest of Denison on the shores of Lake Texoma. I was acquired in 1954 by a Department of Army lease, which extends until 2004, and I open to the public in 1958.

I am named for the 34th U.S. president, who is born nearby. In the early 1830s, the area becomes increasingly important to Anglo settlers, particularly as a route to Texas and the American southwest. Some of the things which add to my history are the American Indian; Butterfield Overland stage routes; Chisholm and Shawnee cattle drive trails; Fort Johnson, established in the area in 1840; and Colbert's Crossing, established on the Red River in 1853 and operated until 1931.

Some of my activities include picnicking, hiking, biking, nature study, fishing, boating and boat rentals, water skiing, swimming, wildlife observation, ATV and mini bike use (OHV permit required), and a variety of camping.
Where Am I?

• Eisenhower State Park
  • Nixon State Park
  • Truman State Park
  • Johnson State Park

6) I am a historic hotel in Anderson, Texas. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department acquire my 1.4 acre site in 1977 from a descendant. Ten years are spent researching and restoring the Inn to its 1850 look. I am open to the public on October 4, 1987.

In 1834, the clapboard-covered log house is built . They buy 1,100 acres and built their house in 1834 along the road that crossed his land. The building is enlarged about 1850 to accommodate its usage as a hotel and store.

The owner is appointed Postmaster by the Provisional Texas Government in 1835. The building is the first post office in the region. I become a well-known stopping place for stagecoaches, travelers and the community.

On July 3, 1845, Kenneth Lewis Anderson, vice-president of the Republic of Texas dies from illness at the Inn while en route home from Washington-on-the-Brazos.
Where Am I?

• Baker Brothers State Historic Site
  • Churchill State Historic Site
  • Jerome State Historic Site
  • Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site

7) Where Am I?: Galveston Island State Park, in Galveston County, is in the City of Galveston, Texas on the west end of Galveston Island. It is a 2,013.1-acre site that was acquired in 1969 from private owners under the State Parks Bond Program and was opened in 1975. On September 14, 2008, the park was indefinitely closed due to damage from Hurricane Ike. In January 2009 a sign at this park entrance indicated a new park was coming soon, although there was little evidence of construction within the park.

Galveston Island is believed to be approximately 5000 years old and has had an interesting history during the past 500 years. It is generally believed Cabeza de Vaca and his crew were shipwrecked here in 1520 and eventually made their way from the island to colonies in Mexico. The LaFitte brothers, fleeing the prosecution of pirates in the United States, established a government here in 1817, with visions of creating a "Manhattan on the Gulf." Commerce did thrive here, but major storms in 1867, 1871, 1875, and 1886 greatly slowed progress. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 devastated the island, killing 5000 to 10,000 people, and prompted the construction of the seawall which protects the northern half of the island.

• True or False?

8) I am a state park in Bandera County, Texas in the United States. I am a multi-use park within the Texas Hill Country. The land within me has been inhabited for several thousand years, and a number of American Indian artifacts have been found within the park, including human remains. After the arrival of European settlers in my land functioned as a working ranch. The bottomlands are converted to croplands and the remainder was used for grazing. The initial land for me is acquired between 1976 and 1982 through donations by Louise Merrick. I am opened to the public in 1984 with 4,753 acres. In 1986 a further 616 acres are acquired, bringing the total size to 5,369 acres.

I have over 40 miles of multi-use trails and permits hiking, biking and horseback riding. Several dude ranches abut the park and regularly lead trail rides through me. An intermittent creek runs through me, allowing for swimming and fishing when water levels are high enough. I also hosts the annual Bandera 100 km ultramarathon run in January.
Where Am I?

• Garner State Park
  • Lost Maples State Natural Area
  • Government Canyon State Natural Area
  • Hill Country State Natural Area

9) Where Am I?: Taylor Lake State Park is a state park located in Burnet County, Texas, United States, next to Inks Lake on the Colorado River. The landscape of the park is hilly, with many cedar, live oak, prickly pear cacti, and yuccas. The ground is rocky, mainly consisting of gneiss rock. Devils Waterhole is a small extension of Taylor Lake, which is almost completely surrounded by rock. A canoe tour is conducted at Devil's Waterhole, and although diving and swimming may be done at the waterhole, it is at one's own risk, without a lifeguard. There is abundant wildlife at the park, including deer, vultures, quail, and many other types of birds.

• True or False?

10) I am a historic state park located, just off U.S. Route 77, south of La Grange, Texas. I sit on a sandstone bluff above the Colorado River. My one monument is a crypt and memorial to the men who died in the Dawson Massacre and the Black Bean Death Lottery of the failed Mier Expedition.

My other site commemorates the contribution European immigrants made in Texas, specifically German immigrants. One immigrant is a stonemason and brewer, whose house and brewery ruins are in the park. On April 16, 1975, they are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Where Am I?

• Victory Hill and Bush Brewery State Historic Sites
  • Memory Hill and Kruggers Brewery State Historic Sites
  • San Juan Hill and Bumgardener Brewery State Historic Sites
  • Monument Hill and Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites

Check Your Answers

Where Am I? The Ultimate Texas State Park Place Names Trivia [Answers]

1. Abilene State Park
  2. Balmorhea State Park
  3. Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway
  4. Davis Mountains State Park
  5. Eisenhower State Park
  6. Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site
  7. True
  8. Hill Country State Natural Area
  9. False. Inks Lake State Park is a state park located in Burnet County, Texas, United States, next to Inks Lake on the Colorado River. The landscape of the park is hilly, with many cedar, live oak, prickly pear cacti, and yuccas. The ground is rocky, mainly consisting of gneiss rock. Devils Waterhole is a small extension of Inks Lake, which is almost completely surrounded by rock. A canoe tour is conducted at Devil's Waterhole, and although diving and swimming may be done at the waterhole, it is at one's own risk, without a lifeguard. There is abundant wildlife at the park, including deer, vultures, quail, and many other types of birds.
  10. Monument Hill and Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites

1 page of 1