Baking Powder Biscuits
Makes 15 biscuits
Prep Time: 15 min.
Baking Time: 15 to 18 min.
Bread Recipe Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450° F. and grease an 8-inch square baking
pan or small baking sheet.
1) Into a large mixing bowl, put the flour, baking powder and
2) Add the vegetable shortening and toss it to coat with the
flour. Break the chunk into 5 or 6 smaller chunks and start rubbing
the flour and shortening together with your fingers and letting the
mixture fall back into the bowl.
3) This does not take long; when the mixture looks like irregular
lumps you have mixed enough.
4) Add the milk all at once and stir to moisten all the flour and
5) Dust a surface with flour, turn the dough onto the surface and
knead the dough ten times.
6) Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.
Cut the biscuits with a two-inch cookie cutter and place on the
prepared pan with a little space between the biscuits.
7) Place biscuit dough in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or
until the tops are lightly browned.
8) Serve hot with butter and honey.