Shirley's Deep Dish Chicken Pie
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Baking Time: 1 hr
- 2-1/2 - 3 pounds
- 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 medium carrots, sliced and cooked
- 2 Tablespoon parsley
- 2 Tablespoon pimento
- Pastry for 1 pie crust
- In saucepan, combine chicken, water, and 1-teaspoon salt.
Cover and cook 1-hour or until tender.
- Skin and bone chicken. Strain chicken broth reserving 3-cups.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and celery in 2-Tablespoons
- Add stock, poultry seasoning, 1/2-teaspoon salt and 1/8
teaspoon pepper. Brink to a boil.
- Blend remaining butter and flour. Add to stock.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and boils.
- Stir in carrots, parsley and pimento.
Preheat oven to 350� F.
- Placed boned chicken in 2-quart casserole.
- Pour hot mixture over it.
- Roll pastry about 1 inch larger than casserole.
- Place over filling and flute edges and cut slits in crust.
- Bake for 45 to 1 hour.
Page 1 of 1