Governor Joseph Johnson House
Johnson House, also known as Oakdale, is located on a half-acre
lot that is bordered on the north by Johnson Avenue (named for the
governor), on the west by Oakdale Avenue (named for the house), and
on the south by Maple Street, in the town of Bridgeport, West
house was constructed in 1818 for then Assemblyman Joseph Johnson.
The structure is significant because it was the home of the only
governor of Virginia from the Trans-Alleghany region and one of
antebellum Western, now West Virginia's most significant public
originally a two story frame residence. It was remodeled in about
1840 in the form of an Italianate architecture Residence.
Still two stories, it is basically a rectangular wood residence,
with clapboard siding. There is a central corbelled chimney
dating from 1818 period, as well as a middle of bay rear chimney
that is part of the 1840 remodel. The home itself rests on a
cut stone foundation, in excellent condition; obviously the work of
master stone masons of the period.