Country Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min.
Baking Time: 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.
Cooking Time: 16 - 20 min.
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 large (1 cup) onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (24-ounce) bottle (3 cups) ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons country-style Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Place pork roast in roasting pan. Sprinkle with
onion and garlic. Add water.
Cover and bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until roast
shreds easily with fork. Remove from pan. Shred roast
into small pieces with forks; discard fat. Keep warm.
In a 4-quart saucepan, combine sauce ingredients:
butter, ketchup, chili powder, brown sugar, pepper,
country-style Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and
Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until sauce comes to a full boil. Reduce
heat to low and cook 10 minutes.
Stir in shredded pork. Continue cooking for 8 to 10
minutes, until heated through.
Serve pork mixture
on hamburger buns.
Make Ahead and Take Along:
pork roast as directed. Place shredded pork in
resealable plastic food bags. Prepare sauce as directed.
Place in resealable food containers. Pack in coolers to
To reheat, place pork in slow cooker; stir in sauce.
Cook on Low heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until heated