Born: July 5, 1904, Burrton, Kansas
Died: June 12, 1980 (age 75), La Jolla, California
Stone was an Emmy Award winning American television actor, a nephew
of Broadway comedian Fred Stone and the son of a shopkeeper, best known
for his role as "Doc" (Dr. Galen Adams) on the CBS western
What do you know about
Stone? Lights, camera, and action this
Alan's FUN Westerns Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the quiz.
1. In the The Three Mesquiteers (1936) with Robert Livingston,
Ray Corrigan, and Syd Saylor. When a group of World War 1 buddies head
west to farmstead, they run into trouble. Stone has a role in the movie. Who does he play?
- John (a vet)
- Chuck (one-armed vet)
- Milt (one-legged vet)
2. When the Bureau of Investigation learns that wealthy
philanthropist Mrs. Crippen (Zeffie Tilbury) bosses the city's
underworld, Federal Agent Tommy Thompson is detailed to uncover evidence
that will convict her. Masquerading as a crook, Tommy is saved from jail
by the Crippen machine, which is headed by Harker (Selmer Jackson), Mrs.
Crippen's lawyer and partner. Stone stars as Federal Agent Tommy
Thompson. What is this 1937 movie?
- Chain Gang
- Federal Bullets
- US Bureau of Investigation
3. In 1940, Milburn Stone plays Don Burke alias Captain Donald Mason
in Colorado. Who is the movie's star?
- John Wayne
- Tex Ritter
- Roy Rogers
4. Stan Borden (Milburn Stone) with the help of the stooge Sheriff is
out to get the Toreno ranch. Kicking the peons off the ranch, they kill
Miguel's father. Miguel then becomes the masked El Lobo and when Jim
Lawrence arrives, the two team up to fight Borden and the Sheriff. Don
"Red" Barry plays Jim Lawrence. What is the 1941 movie?
- The Phantom Cowboy
- Lawrence Rides
5. In Death Valley Outlaws (1941) ambushed by the Vigilantes,
a dying friend gets Johnny who was only passing through to take up the
fight. To get in with the gang, Johnny poses as an outlaw and then beats
them to a gold shipment by robbing the train ahead of them. This gets
him invited into the gang. They are all masked and unknown to Johnny,
one of them is his brother. Who does Stone play?
- Joseph 'Doc' Blake
- Tom Johnson
6. Mine owner Jackson Decker orders his manager to obtain Tom
Bailey's milling machinery no matter what the cost. When Bailey is found
murdered, suspicion naturally falls upon the mine owner and his son, a
Canadian Mountie, is ordered to find the real culprit. He joins forces
with a French-Canadian constable, Bailey's beautiful daughter and a
phony palm reader to learn the truth and discovers a secret gold mine, a
double-crossing casino owner and a forger at the bottom of the
conspiracy. Milburn Stone plays Brad Taggart. Who is Corporal J. Wayne
Decker, Royal Canadian Mounted Police?
- Robert Armstrong
- Joseph Crehan
- Bill Kennedy
7. Milburn Stone plays Parker Graham in The Daltons Ride Again
8. In Calamity Jane and Sam Bass (1949) Milburn Stone plays
9. He was temporarily sidelined by a heart attack in 1971 and briefly
replaced by another "doc". Who played the temporary doctor?
- Pat Hingle
- Edgar Buckhannon
- Walter Winchell
10. In 1968, he won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting
Actor in a Drama Series.
11. Stone died of lung cancer in La Jolla, California.
12. Where is Milburn Stone buried?
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles,
- El Camino Memorial Park , San Diego, California
- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, California