The Big Valley
Big Valley is an American television Western which ran on ABC from
1965 to 1969. It was created by A.I. Bezzerides and Louis F. Edelman. The producer was Levy-Gardner-Laven. The stirring theme music was
composed by George Duning. Four Star Television produced the series.
What do you know about The Big Valley? Try this
Alan's TV Westerns Trivia quiz.
find the answers at the bottom of the page.
1) The TV series was based loosely on the Hill Ranch located at the
western edge of Calaveras County, not far from Stockton. The Hill Ranch
existed from 1855 until 1931, exceeded 1,000 acres, and had the Mokelumne River running through it. Lawson Hill ran the ranch until he
was murdered in 1861. His wife Euphemia (aka "Auntie Hill")
then became the matriarch. During their marriage they had four children,
one daughter and three sons.
Where is the ranch today?
Palms of Glory
2) Victoria Barkley was the widowed matriarch of the wealthy,
influential Barkley family living in 19th century Stockton in
California's central valley. Victoria Barkley was the undisputed master
of the Barkley ranch. Barkley's husband, Thomas, had been killed several
years prior in the universe of the series.
Who played Victoria Barley?
3) Jarrod Thomas Barkley, the eldest son, was a respected attorney.
Richard Long played the role as the more intelligent and calmer of the
Barkley sons. While Jarrod preferred the law to settle disputes, he was
known to resort to frontier justice and violence when necessary. Jarrod
was briefly married in one episode only to see his new wife killed off
4) Hot-tempered younger son Nick Barkley, who managed the family
ranch. Nick was well-known for his leather vests and large black hat. He
was also notorious for getting into fist fights. At times, he would
fight with his brothers as well.
Who played Nick Barkley?
5) Sally Field played Audra, Victoria's only daughter. Much like her
mother, Audra was no wall flower and often was involved in daring stunts
and did not ride side-saddled.
6) Heath Barkley was the illegitimate son of Victoria's late husband. He gradually gained acceptance from the rest of the Barkley clan. Although Nick initially detested Heath, they eventually became close. In
fact, Nick eventually became closer to Heath than Jarrod.
7) Eugene Barkley was the central character in The
8) Both Long and Breck had been regulars for a short time on another
classic Western series.
What was the series?
9) What was the date The Big Valley began its run on ABC?
February 6, 1965
June 1, 1965
September 15, 1965
10) This show marks the debut of new actors Lee Majors and Linda
Evans, who both went on to fame on other shows. Majors, went on to have
a successful acting career: Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law, The
Six Million Dollar Man and The Fall Guy. Evans went on to
work on the popular 1980s prime-time soap opera.
What was the series?