What do you know about Gunsmoke
Try this Alan's TV Westerns Trivia quiz.
find the answers at the bottom of the page.
In the late 1940s, CBS chairman William S. Paley, a fan of The
Adventures of Philip Marlowe radio serial, asked his programming
chief, Hubell Robinson, to develop a hardboiled Western series, a show
about a "Philip Marlowe of the Old West." Robinson instructed
his West Coast CBS Vice-President, Harry Ackerman, who had developed the
Philip Marlowe series, to take on the task.
2) Who was wanted to play Dillon?
3) The radio series aired from April 26, 1952
("Billy the Kid," written by Walter Newman). When did the
radio series end on CBS?
June 18, 1958
June 18, 1961
June 18, 1963
June 18, 1965
4) Who was Matt Dillon in the radio series?
5) Howard McNear was Doc Charles Adams.
the TV character he is best known for?
Floyd Lawson - Andy
Andy the barber - Leave
It to Beaver
Professor Sheboyan -
Wilbur Wilgus -
Donna Reed Show
6) Who is an American actress best known for her
recurring role of Kitty in the popular Western radio drama
7) Chester's character had no surname until Parley
Baer ad libbed "Proudfoot" during an early rehearsal. The
amiable character was usually described as Dillon's
"assistant," but the December 13, 1952 episode "Post
Martin," Dillon described Chester as Dillon's deputy.
8) In the early years, a majority of the TV
episodes were adapted from the radio scripts, often using identical
scenes and dialogue.
9) The Gunsmoke radio theme song and later
TV theme was titled "Old Trails," also known as "Boothill." The theme was written by Rex Koury & Glenn Spencer.
the original radio version?
10) What TV series did Parley Baer play obnoxious
The Andy Griffith Show
Leave It to Beaver
The Law and Mr. Jones