Layered Apricot Snacking Bars
about 16 bars
Prep time: 10 min.
Baking time: 30 min.
- 2 - cups (12-ounce package) Premier White Chips, divided
- 1 - package (6-ounce) dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 - cup boiling water
- 1/2 - cup (1 stick) margarine, softened
- 1/3 - cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 - cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 - egg
- 1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 - teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - cup wheat germ
- 2 - Tablespoons honey
- 1 - egg white
- 1/2 - teaspoon shortening
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside 1/3 cup white chips for glaze.
- Stir together apricots and water in small bowl; cover. Let stand 5
minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat margarine, granulated sugar, brown
sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to
margarine mixture, beating until well blended.
- Stir in remaining 1-2/3 cups white chips; press mixture onto bottom
of ungreased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Spread softened apricots over cookie base.
- Stir together wheat germ, remaining 2 tablespoons flour, honey and
egg white until blended; crumble over apricots.
- Bake 30 minutes or until wheat germ is lightly browned. Cool
completely in pan on wire rack.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, stir together reserved 1/3 cup white
chips and shortening.
- Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir.
- If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds or until
chips are melted when stirred.
- Using tines of fork, drizzle mixture over top.
- Let stand until glaze is firm. Cut into bars.
Page 1 of 1