Lemon Picnic Cake with Berries
Prep Time: 30 min.
Baking Time: 50 min.
Cooling Time: 15 min.
- Cake Ingredients
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Glaze Ingredients
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon
- Fresh berries
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites at high
speed, scraping bowl often, just until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl
often, until creamy.
- Add egg yolks; continue beating until
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and
- Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually
adding flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, until
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla.
Continue beating until well mixed.
- Gently stir in egg whites by hand.
- Pour batter into greased and floured
12-cup Bundt® or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Stir together all glaze ingredients
except berries in 1-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- With toothpick poke holes in top of
cake; pour glaze over cake.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan.
- Serve with fresh berries.