Vermont Spice Cake
Prep Time: 20 min.
Baking Time: 35 min.
Cooling Time: 45 min.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 3 - cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 - teaspoons baking powder
- 1 - teaspoon baking soda
- 2 - teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 - teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 - cups sugar
- 3/4 - cup butter
- 3 - eggs
- 1 1/2 - cups pumpkin
- 1/2 - cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 - cup water
- 1 1/2 - teaspoons vanilla
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 - cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/3 - cup LAND O LAKES� Butter,
- 11 - ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 to 3 - teaspoons maple flavoring
- Chopped nuts and nut halves, if
Preheat oven to 325�F. Grease and flour 2
(9-inch) round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking
powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and 3/4
cup butter. Beat at high speed, scraping bowl often, until
- Add eggs; continue beating until well
- Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and
vanilla; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour
mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared cake
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool
- In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar,
butter and cream cheese.
- Beat at high speed, scraping bowl often,
until fluffy. Stir in maple flavoring.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally with
long serrated knife.
- Frost between layers and on top of cake,
leaving sides unfrosted.
- Garnish with nuts, if desired.
Alan's Kitchen Tip:
To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on
sides of cake.
Page 1 of 1