Torte (Rich Cake)
Makes 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 min.
Baking Time: 35 min.
Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. and grease and flour two
9-inch round baking pans.
1) In a medium bowl, separate eggs and place
2) Place egg yolks in a custard cup and set
3) With a electric beater, beat egg whites
4) Gradually add 1 cup sugar while continuing
to beat at the highest speed. Beat until very stiff. Set aside.
5) In another medium bowl, combine 3/4-cup
sugar and butter. Beat well.
6) Add egg yolks and beat. Add milk, flour,
baking powder, and vanilla.
7) Beat until well blended. Divide batter
between the two pans.
8) Divide whipped egg whites between the two
pans. Spread out evenly.
9) Sprinkle with nuts and 2 Tablespoons sugar.
10) Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven.
11) Loosen cake by running a knife around the
12 While cake is cooling prepare custard. In a
small saucepan, mix flour and sugar.
13) Gradually stir in milk. Add egg and cook
over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture coast the
spoon and is thickened.
14) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
15) Refrigerate until ready to use.
16) When cakes re cool carefully remove from
pan and place one cake on a serving platter with meringue side up.
17) Spread cooled custard over the meringue.
Place second cake on top with meringue side up.
Page 1 of 1