1-2-3-4 Cake with Caramel Icing Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 25 to 30 min.
Cake Recipe Directions:
Preheat oven 350-degrees F. and grease and flour three
9-inch cake pans.
1) In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter
and sugar together with an electric mixer till smooth, add the
eggs and continue beating till smooth.
2) In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder
together and add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture,
beating steadily till smooth.
3) Add the vanilla and beat till well blended.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans, "tap" the bottom
of the pans to distribute the batter evenly.
4) Place cake pans in oven and bake till a
straw inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let
5) Meanwhile, to make the icing: melt the
butter over low heat in a saucepan, add the brown sugar and milk,
bring to a boil, and remove from the heat to cool.
6) Add the powdered sugar and mix till well
blended. When the cake layers are cooled, remove from the pans,
place one layer on a cake plate, and spread one third of the icing
on the layer.
7) Place a second layer over the icing and
spread with more icing.
8) Top with the third layer and spread icing
over the top and around the sides.