Chocolate Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Makes about 9 servings.
1 - Tablespoon cornstarch
1 - Tablespoon cold water
1/4 to 1/2 - teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 - can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
1-2/3 - cups all-purpose flour
1 - cup sugar
1/4 - cup cocoa
1 - teaspoon baking soda
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1 - cup water
1/3 - cup vegetable oil
1 - teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 - teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350�F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cornstarch, 1-tablespoon water and almond
extract (optional), and stir until you dissolve the cornstarch.
stir in pie filling.
- Pour pie-filling mixture evenly on bottom of
ungreased 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Next, add 1-cup water, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Beat with spoon
until batter is smooth and well blended.
- Pour batter evenly over cherry
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool 10 minutes; invert onto serving plate.
- Serve warm with