Chocolate-Peanut Butter Checkerboards
about 4-1/2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 15 min.
Chilling Time: several hrs.
Baking Time: 8 to 9 min.
Cookie Recipe Directions:
1) In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg
and vanilla until fluffy. Add 1 cup flour and baking soda; beat
2) Remove 3/4 cup batter to small bowl.
3) Add cocoa and remaining 3 Tablespoons
flour to remaining batter in large bowl and blend well.
4) Place peanut butter chips in small
microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds or
until melted and smooth when stirred.
5) Immediately add to batter in small bowl,
stirring until smooth.
6) Divide chocolate dough into four equal
parts. Roll each part in a log 7 inches long and about 1 inch in
7) Between plastic wrap or wax paper, roll
each part into logs about 1 inch in diameter and 7 inches long.
Repeat with peanut butter dough.
8) Wrap the eight rolls individually in wax
paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours until very
Preheat oven to 350°F.
9) Remove rolls from wax paper and place 1
chocolate roll and 1 peanut butter roll side by side on a
10) Top each roll with another roll of the
opposite flavor to make checkerboard pattern. Lightly push rolls
together; repeat with remaining four rolls.
11) Working with one checkerboard at a time
(keep remaining checkerboard covered and refrigerated), cut into
12) Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake
for 8 to 9 minutes or until peanut butter portion is lightly
13) Cool for 1 minute and remove from cookie
sheet to wire rack.
14) Cool completely.