These dainty cookies are packed with flavor.
Who would guess that each tasty morsel has only 30 calories and 1 gram of
Prep Time: 25 min
Start to Finish: 1 hr
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 12 candied cherries, each cut into
fourths, if desired
Heat oven to 300ºF. Cover cookie
sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and
salt in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat
in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and
glossy. Do not under-beat.
- Pour into medium bowl. Fold in almond
extract and coconut.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls about 1
inch apart onto cookie sheet.
- Place 1 cherry piece on each cookie.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or just until
edges are light brown.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from foil to
wire rack. (Total time will vary; cook or bake time is per batch.)