Makes 1 quart
- 1 - Tablespoon plain unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 - cup cold water
- 1-1/2 - cup half & half
- 1-1/2 - cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- In a heavy saucepan, add half & half and 1/2- cup
- Over low heat, cook until bubbles form around the
edge. Do not boil.
- When cream is hot, sprinkle in coffee. Add sugar and
- Stir to dissolve gelatin and remove from heat. Whisk
melted chocolate into hot cream.
- Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into a medium sized
- Place saucepan in a pan of cold or ice water to
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to
- Whip remaining heavy cream until thick but not stiff,
and gently told into chilled mixture just before freezing.
- Pour mixture into the ice cream maker.
Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.