Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes about twelve
4-inch ice cream sandwiches.
- cup shortening
1 - cup sugar
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- cups all-purpose flour
- cup cocoa
teaspoon baking soda
- teaspoon salt
- cup milk
- gallon desired flavor ice cream, slightly softened
- In large bowl, beat shortening,
sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa,
baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to sugar
mixture, beating until well blended.
- Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Drop batter
by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- With palm of hand or bottom of
glass, flatten each cookie into 2-3/4 inch circle, about 1/4
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until
almost set. Cool 1 minute.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire
rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Place scoop of ice cream on flat
side of 1 cookie; spread evenly with spatula.
- Top with another cookie,
pressing together lightly; repeat with remaining cookies.
- Wrap individually in foil;
freeze until firm.