Lattice Peach-Apple Pie
Prep Time: 45 min
Baking Time: 45 min
Cooling Time: 45 min
- 2 - cups all-purpose flour
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 2/3 - cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 to 6 - Tablespoons cold water
- 1 - cup sugar
- 1/4 - cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 - medium fresh peaches, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 - medium green cooking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (2
- 1/4 - cup sliced almonds
- 1 - Tablespoon butter or margarine
- In medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour and the salt. Cut in shortening,
using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in
opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork
until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1
to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half.
- On lightly floured surface, shape each half into flattened round.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough
is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become
slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky.
- If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- With floured rolling pin, roll 1 pastry round into round 2 inches
larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Fold pastry into fourths and place in pie plate.
- Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- In large bowl, mix sugar, 1/4 cup flour and the cinnamon.
- Stir in peaches and apples. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate.
Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over filling.
- Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of plate.
- Roll other pastry round into 10-inch round. Cut round into 1/2-inch
- Place 6 strips across filling. To make lattice top, weave a
cross-strip through center by first folding back every other strip
going the other way.
- Continue weaving lattice, folding back alternate strips before
adding each cross-strip, until lattice is complete.
- Trim ends of strips. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over ends of
strips, building up a high edge; seal and flute.
- Cover edge of pastry with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly,
removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Serve slightly warm.
Alan's Kitchen Tip: Peaches out of season? Substitute 2 cups
frozen sliced peaches, partially thawed and drained, for the fresh
Page 1 of 1