Jamaican Pineapple Pie
- 6 - cups cut-up pineapple (2 medium)
1 - cup sugar
2 - Tablespoon rum
1/2 - cup sugar
1/2 - cup all-purpose flour
1/4 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 - teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 - Tablespoon butter
1 - package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- In a large bowl, add the pineapple.
- Stir in 1-cup sugar and the
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Make Double-Crust
Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Drain pineapple and reserving juice.
- Spoon pineapple into
pastry-lined pie plate.
- In 1-quart saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar,
flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the reserved juice
(reserve remaining juice).
- Heat to boiling and stir constantly.
and stir 1 minute. Then remove from heat.
- Stir in butter.
- Pour over
- Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of plate.
- Roll other round of pastry into 10-inch circle.
- Cut circle into
- Place 6 strips across filling.
- To make lattice top,
weave a cross-strip through center by first folding back every other
strip going the other way.
- Continue weaving lattice, folding back
alternate strips before adding each cross-strip, until lattice is
- Trim ends of strips.
- Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust
over ends of strips, building up a high edge; seal and flute.
edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive
browning during baking.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is
- Remove foil strip for last 15 minutes of baking.
In a small
bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, gradually beat 1/4 cup
plus 2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice into cream cheese until
smooth and creamy.
Authentic Pennsylvania Dutch Pie Recipes...