is seven miles southeast of Capitan, New Mexico, via US 380,
then south on NM 214. The fort contains a museum with exhibits.
Please visit the website for further information.
Stanton was established in 1855 to help defend against Mescalero
Apache raids in central New Mexico. Used as a center for
military activities and as a point of departure for numerous
scouting expeditions and raids, the fort was also the economic
center for the region.
The Mescaleros were permanently
settled on their reservations during the 1880s and the fort was
abandoned in 1896. The site contains officers' quarters, stone
barracks, corrals and stables, a parade ground and the old post