Capitan Historic Marker
Capitan, Lincoln County, New Mexico
Population 1400 -- Elevation 6350 Ft.
Many incidents in the Lincoln County War, 1876-1879,
occurred in the area around Capitán. The promoters Charles B.
and John A. Eddy platted the town site in 1900, after building a
spur of the El Paso & Northeastern Railroad from Carrizozo in
order to open the Salado coal fields. The mines were abandoned
In 1950, a little bear cub, his
feet badly burned, was rescued from a forest fire near here. The
cub was nursed back to health and flown to Washington, D.C. to
become the living symbol of "Smokey Bear" in the U.S. Forest
Service’s fire prevention program.
The Capitan Historic Marker is in
Capitan, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. It is on U.S. 380 at
milepost 83.5, on the right when traveling east. It is on
New Mexico Route 48 at milepost 21.1, 1 mile south of U.S. 380,
on the right when traveling south.