Querino Canyon Bridge
Querino Canyon Bridge is picturesquely situated over a rugged
and beautiful canyon just outside Houck, Arizona. Designed
by the Arizona Highway Department, the bridge is a
representative example of early highway truss design: 77 feet
long, 20 feet wide, and comprised of a concrete-decked steel
trestle with three Pratt deck trusses supported by steel piers.
Concrete abutments support the bridge from below and steel
lattice guardrails typical of the period line the roadway.
The State built the bridge in 1929 as part of a grand
rehabilitation and relocation of Route 66 across northern
Arizona. The project included several bridges, drainage
construction, and at least 25 miles of roadway. The largest of
these multiple efforts, the bridge over Querino Canyon formed an
integral link on one of America’s primary arteries.
section of the highway became a county road during the 1960s
after construction of Interstate 40. The Querino Canyon
Bridge remains intact, carrying local traffic on the Navajo
Indian Reservation. It was listed in the National Register
of Historic Places in 1988.
The Querino Canyon Bridge crosses Querino Canyon 3.8 miles
southwest of Houck, AZ as part of Old Highway 66.