Tewa Motor Lodge
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Tewa Motor Lodge is located at 5715 Central Ave. NE in
Albuquerque, NM and is still in operation as a motel. For
information on room rates and reservations, call 505-255-1632.
When wartime rationing and
travel restrictions ended in 1945, Americans took to the road in
unprecedented numbers, and Route 66 entered its golden age.
Tourism was a growing industry in Albuquerque and development
continued to push east and west along Central Avenue (Route 66)
past the fringe of Albuquerque. Constructed on the cusp of
this transition, the Tewa Motor Lodge opened in 1946 to welcome
motorists along the Mother Road. Other motels, many of
them also using regional Indian names to evoke the Southwest,
would soon appear in this area.
The Tewa Lodge consists
of a one-story building and a two-story building with a
managerís residence located above the office portion of the east
building. The motel is an example of the popular Pueblo Revival
style with rounded parapets, irregular massing, battered walls,
and projecting vigas (wooden roof beams). The units, some with
garages, are organized in a parallel linear plan facing a small
courtyard. Although the neon sign isnít original to the
building, it is highly regarded along Route 66. The motelís use
of neon has been judged as among the best in Albuquerque. A
giant arrow points to the motelís entrance with flashing gold
lights. The Tewa Motor Lodge was listed in the National Register
of Historic Places in 1998.