Roy T. Herman's Garage and Service Station
Roy T. Hermanís Garage and Service Station is located on State
Road 122, 150 yards west of the I-40 Exit 53 at Thoreau, NM.
Roy T. Hermanís Garage and
Service Station in Thoreau is one of the oldest remaining gas
stations along Route 66 in New Mexico and one of the Stateís
earliest examples of franchise service stations with its style,
plan, and materials. Despite being uprooted and moved twice, the
building retains its historic appearance and orientation to
Route 66, a reminder of what it was like for travelers to stop
for gasoline and service on the Mother Road.
served as a gas station along Route 66 beginning in 1935 when it
was a Standard Oil Company Station in the nearby town of Grants.
In 1937, the building was moved to Thoreau just as Route 66
moved to its present alignment a half-mile south of Thoreauís
main street north of the railroad tracks. It was the first
roadside business along this realigned section of the Mother
Road. As a young veteran, Roy T. Herman worked at the station
and operated the garage in the late 1940s. In 1950 he purchased
the station, and he and his son have operated it since. In 1963,
Mr. Herman moved the building 200 yards farther west on Route
66, and ceased selling gasoline to operate solely as a repair
This former gas station is a one-story building
with hipped and flat roof portions. Sections of white enamel
covering with red and blue strips characteristic of early
Standard Oil Company gas stations remain on the walls. A
broad-pitched hipped canopy extends over a service lane to the
concrete pump island. Like most service stations along rural
portions of Route 66, the building is set back from the road,
permitting parking and providing off-road maneuvering room. The
stationís 1940s pumps and 1950s sign remain on the property.
Roy T. Hermanís Garage and Service Station was listed in the
National Register of Historic Places in 1993.