Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church
11 East Main Street
Grafton, West Virginia
Current use/information: Church open to the public..
Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church, the "mother church" of
Mother's Day, was incorporated as the International Mother's Day
Shrine on May 15, 1962, as a tribute to all mothers. The church
was constructed in 1873 and is located on Main Street in
downtown Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia. The
International Mother's Day Shrine was designated a National
Historic Landmark October 5, 1992. Its location is approximately
one mile south of the junction of U.S. Route 50 and U.S. Route
119. The shrine is open by appointment and available for
wedding services and tour groups.
From Philadelphia, Anna M. Jarvis sent 500 carnations to this
church, which she had attended as a youth, to be distributed at
morning services on Sunday, May 10, 1908 to honor mothers.
Philadelphia merchant John Wanamaker, who had joined her cause
to establish Mother's Day, held an afternoon service in his
store the same day. The movement, a combination of religious and
commercial interests, grew rapidly, and in 1914 President
Woodrow Wilson proclaimed that the second Sunday in May would be
observed annually as Mother's Day throughout the nation. The
church where it all began is now the International Mother's Day
Shrine and is open to the public.