Chocolate has a very long history, beginning with its discovery by
ancient Mesoamerican civilizations over 3000 years ago.
What do you know about Chocolate History? Try the quick quiz.
The evidence found indicates that the earliest use of cacao. What does
it seem to have been as?
2. The Aztecs associated chocolate with Xochiquetzal. What was she
the goddess of?
3. In the Americas, chocolate was consumed in a bitter and very spicy
drink called xocoatl, often seasoned with vanilla, chile pepper,
and achiote. What was it believed to fight?
4. Cacao beans were often used as currency. The Aztecs used a system
in which one turkey cost one hundred cacao beans and one fresh avocado
was worth three beans. True or False?
5. For hundreds of years, South American and European cultures have
used cocoa to treat what health problem?
6. All of the areas that were conquered by the Aztecs that grew cacao
beans were ordered to pay them as a tax. What did the Aztecs call it?
7. Who was the first person to bring cocoa beans to Europe?
8. When was the first recorded shipment to Europe for commercial
purposes was in a shipment from Veracruz to Sevilla?
9. It was still served as a beverage, but the Europeans added sugar
and milk to counteract the natural bitterness and removed the chilli
pepper, replacing it with another Mexican indigenous spice. What was the
10. Roughly two-thirds of the world's cocoa is produced in Western
Africa. Where does close to half of the total sourced from?