Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is the common name for an edible
tropical plant and also its fruit It is native to the southern part of
Brazil, and Paraguay. This herbaceous perennial plant grows to (1-1.5
m) tall with 30 or more trough-shaped and pointed leaves 30-100 cm
long, surrounding a thick stem.
The pineapple is an example of a
multiple fruit: multiple, spirally-arranged flowers along the axis each
produce a fleshy fruit that becomes pressed against the fruits of
adjacent flowers, forming what appears to be a single fleshy fruit.
What do you know about Pineapples? Slice you way with this quick
1. The natives of southern Brazil and Paraguay spread the pineapple
throughout South America and it eventually reached the Caribbean. Who
discovered it in the West Indies and brought it back with him to Europe?
2. What country introduced pineapple into the Philippines, Hawaii,
Zimbabwe and Guam.
3. The fruit was successfully cultivated in European hothouses, and
pineapple pits, beginning in 1720. Commonly grown cultivars include 'Red
Spanish', 'Hilo', 'Smooth Cayenne', 'St. Michael', 'Kona Sugarloaf',
'Natal Queen', and 'Pernambuco'. True or False?
4. The pineapple was introduced to Hawaii in 1813, Pineapples were
sold canned by 1892. Pineapple cultivation by U.S. companies began in
the early 1900s on Hawaii. Who started a pineapple plantation in Hawaii
in the year 1900?
5 What company began pineapple cultivation on the island of Maui in
6. Fresh pineapple is often somewhat inexpensive as the tropical
fruit is hardy and easy to ship.
7. In 2001, what country produced the most pineapples?
8. This pineapple is 5-6 lbs, pale yellow to yellow flesh.
Cylindrical in shape and with high sugar and acid content. Well adapted
to canning and processing. L eaves without spines. This is the variety
from Hawaii, and the most easily obtainable in U.S. grocery stores.
9. The root and fruit are either eaten or applied topically as an
anti-inflammatory and as a proteolytic agent. It is traditionally used
as an antihelminthic agent in the Philippines. True or False?
10. In some cultures, the pineapple has become associated with what
idea. To display the idea, they use of pineapple motifs as carved
decorations in woodworking. What is the idea?