What do you know about Lou
Take this quick Famous People FUN
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Take 2 points for each right
answer. Maximum this page: 22 points!
Costello (born Louis Francis Cristillo),
was born in Paterson, New Jersey.
What was his birthday?
March 6, 1906
April 6, 1906
May 6, 1906
2) In 1927 he went to Hollywood to become an actor, but could only
find work as a laborer or extra at MGM and Warner Brothers.
What did his
athletic skill led him to occasional work as?
- Stunt man
- Voice over actor
3) In 1930, discouraged by his lack of success, he hitchhiked back
home but ran out of money. He took a job as a Dutch-accented comic at a
local burlesque theater.
Where did he run out of money?
- St. Joseph, Missouri
- Oklahoma City
- St. Louis, Missouri
4) Unlike many burlesque comics of the era, Costello did not use
"off-color" material � a trait that continued for the rest
of his career.
5) While working at vaudeville theaters in the 1930s, Costello became
acquainted with a talented straight man Bud Abbott.
What talent agency
did they sign up with?
- William Morris Agency
- John Montgomery Agency
- Talent Scouts
6) The Kate Smith Hour was a leading radio variety show,
offering comedy, music and drama with appearances by top personalities
of films and theater for eight years (1937-45).
Besides Abbott and
Costello, who was a resident comics on the show?
- Henny Youngman
- Mitch Miller
- Slim Pickens
7) One Night in the Tropics is a 1940 comedy film noteworthy
for being the film debut of Abbott and Costello. They only had minor
Who was the movie's star?
- Allan Jones
- Gene Autry
- Gary Cooper
8) The team's breakout picture was released early in 1941. They
immediately became the top-ranking comedy stars in Hollywood and fans
looked forward to each of their pictures as a major event.
What was the
- Buck Privates
- GI Blues
- Coming Home
9). In 1942, Costello had an attack of rheumatic fever and was unable
to work for a year. A tragic event shadowed his comeback. On November 4,
1943, the day Costello returned to the team's popular radio show, his
infant son, Lou Jr. (nicknamed Butch) accidentally drowned in the family
pool. The baby was only a few days short of his first birthday.
10) After making one solo film,
The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock,
What was he cause of his death on March 3, 1959 (age 52),
in East Los Angeles, California?
- Heart attack
- Rheumatic fever
- Lung cancer
11) Where was Lou Costello buried?
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles,
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California
- Calvary Cemetery, East Los Angeles, California