What do you know about Tom Mix?
FUN Celebrity Trivia quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at
the end of the quiz.
January 6, 1880, Mix Run, Pennsylvania
October 12, 1940 (aged 60), Florence, Arizona
Edwin Mix (born
Thomas Hezikiah Mix) was an American film
actor and the star of many early Western movies.
He made a reported 336
films between 1910 and 1935, all but nine of which were silent features.
He was Hollywood's first Western megastar and is noted as having
helped define the genre for all cowboy actors who followed.
In April 1898, during the Spanish-American War, he enlisted in the Army
under the name Thomas E. (Edwin) Mix. His unit never went overseas, and
Mix later failed to return for duty after an extended furlough when he
married Grace I. Allin on July 18, 1902. Mix was listed as AWOL on
November 4, 1902 but was never court martialled or apparently even
2. Mix began his film career as a supporting cast member with the Selig Polyscope Company. His first shoot in 1910 at their studio in the Edendale
district of Los Angeles (now known as Echo Park).
What was the name of the
- Ranch Life in the Great Southwest
- The Cowboy Come Riding
- No Time No Money
3. This 1932 film is considered by many Western experts as the best of
the nine sound Westerns made by Tom Mix.
What is the movie?
- Ride Him Cowboy
- Rider of Death Valley
- Riders of the Desert
4. In 1933, a Tom Mix radio program hit the airwaves. Tom Mix never
participated in the broadcast. The show lasted until 1950.
Who was the
- Quaker Oats
- Kellogg Cereals
- Ralston Purina
5. What was Tom Mix's ranch name on the radio series?
- Flying A Ranch
- TM-Bar Ranch
- Circle E Ranch
6. In 1929. Tom Mix served as a pallbearer at the funeral of legendary
Who was the famous lawman?
- Wyatt Earp
- Matt Dillon
- Bat Masterson
7. Mix appeared with a circus in 1929, 1930 and 1931 at a reported
weekly salary of $20,000.
What was the name of the circus?
- Ringling Brothers Circus
- Sells-Floto Circus
- Ranch 101 Circus
8. In 1932, Tom Mix made his first sound movie.
What was the film?
- End of the Trail
- Destry Rides Again
- Daring Danger
9. In the 1932
My Pal, the King, Tom helps the boy king of Ruritania. He teaches the boy King the ways of the West.
Who plays the boy
- Randolph Scott
- Mickey Rooney
- Rowdy McDowell
10. James Garner played Wyatt Earp in Blake Edwards film
Who played Tom Mix?
- Tom Keene
- George Clooney
- Bruce Willis
11. On the afternoon of October 12, 1940 Mix was driving his 1937
Cord 812 Phaeton near Florence, Arizona (between Tucson and Phoenix) on
two-lane U.S. Highway 80 when he came upon construction barriers at a
bridge previously washed away by a flash flood. A work crew watched as
he was unable to brake in time and his car slid into a gully. A large
polished aluminum suitcase he had put on the seat behind him flew
forward and struck Mix in the back of the head, shattering his skull and
breaking his neck. The 60-year-old actor was killed almost instantly.
Accounts vary as to whether Mix was speeding before the accident, along
with the role alcohol consumption may have played.
12. Where is Tom Mix buried?
- Mix Run Family Cemetery, Dubois, PA
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Glendale, CA
- Florence Memorial Gardens, Florence, AZ