New Orleans Chicken Gumbo Filé
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
- 2 Tablespoon lard
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 chickens, cu into serving
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen
okra, cut into thin slices (or canned okra)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup tomatoes, canned or
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons sale
- 2 Tablespoons filé
- Cooked rice
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the lard.
- Add the onions, and cook until golden.
- Set onions aside and brown chicken.
- Add the okra, garlic, tomatoes, and
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes,
stirring from time to time.
- Add the water very gradually and add
- Cover and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with filé and stir well.
- Do not heat after adding filé or it will
- Serve in soup plates with a spoonful of
cooked rice in each.
Page 1 of 1