Mainland Luau Kalua Pig
Makes 16 to 24 servings.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 3 hrs. to 3 hrs. 45 min.
4 to 5 - pounds pork butt
2-1/2 - Tablespoons Hawaiian salt (mainland substitute - kosher salt)
2 - Tablespoons liquid smoke
1 - banana leaf (mainland substitute - 4 to 5 whole, unpeeled
4 to 6 - Ti leaves (mainland substitute - aluminum foil)
Preheat oven to 325-350º F.
- You want to trim any excess fat from
- Make several shallow long cuts along the roast or pierce
liberally with a fork.
- Rub the pork with salt and liquid smoke.
Next, wrap the roast with banana leaf or place whole bananas on top
- Cut the ribs from the Ti leaves and wrap over the banana leaf.
Substitute aluminum foils, if Ti leaves are not available. (You
maybe able to obtain Ti leaves from a local florist).
- Tie securely
- Place the pork in a roasting pan and roast in an oven for 3 to 3
hrs 45 min. (about 45 minutes per pound).
- When meat is done, remove
Ti leaves, banana leaf (or bananas) and shred pork.
Make a day or two ahead. Heat (on stove or in
microwave) before leaving. Pour into a thermal container and serve
when you reach your destination.