Grumbera (Potato) Twist
Makes 2 loaves.
- 2 - packages active yeast
1/2 - cup potato water
1 - cup hot mashed potatoes
1 - Tablespoon shortening
2 - Tablespoons butter
1 - teaspoon salt
1-1/2 - Tablespoons sugar
1 - cup scalded milk
1 - egg, beaten
6 - cups flour (plus)
Preheat oven to 450° F.
- In a small glass, dissolve yeast in potato water.
- In a large
mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, shortening, butter, salt,
and sugar. In a sauce pan, heat milk until hot.
- Allow to cool and
add mashed potato mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and
- Gradually stir in the flour until the dough leaves
the side of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place.
- Let rise 1
hour or until double in size.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead
vigorously, adding more flour to stiffen if needed.
- Return down to
grease bowl and let rise again until it doubles in size.
- Again, turn out and knead some more.
- Chop through the dough with
a knife, for fine texture.
- Return 1/3 of dough to bowl.
- Divide the
remaining dough into 2 parts.
- Roll on of the parts into 3 long,
- Pinch together at the ends and braid to form a loaf.
Repeat with the remaining part.
- Place these large braids in greased 3-1/2 x 7-1/2 inch loaf pan.
Moisten tops with a little milk.
- Repeat the process with the dough in the bowl, separating it to
make 2 smaller braids.
- Place small dough braids on the top of large
braids in pans.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Let rise until loaves have
doubled in size.
- Place the bread in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or
until it starts to turn brown.
- Reduce heat to 350° F and bake for
45 to 50 minutes.