Makes 6 (7-inch) cakes.
- 1 - package active dry yeast
1/2 - cup lukewarm potato waster
2 - Tablespoons sugar
1/4 - cup shortening
1/4 - cup butter
1/2 - teaspoon salt
2 - Tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
4 - egg yolks
1/2 - cup cream
4 - cups all-purpose flour, sifted 3 times
1 - cup scalded milk
2 - egg whites, beaten
- 1 - cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 - cup granulated sugar
1/2 - cup brown sugar
1-1/2 - teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 - cup shortening
Preheat oven to 350° F.
a small glass, combine the yeast, 1/2 cup of lukewarm potato
water, and a 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Allow starting to foam.
- In a mixer bowl, add the yeast mixture,
remaining sugar, shortening, butter, salt, and 2 tablespoons
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise
(in warm spot) 1 hour.
- Beat the egg yolks and cream.
- Gradually add the flour and milk.
- Fold in the egg whites and stir.
- Cover and let set for 1 hour.
- Grease a deep-dish pie tin and lightly
- Pour in the batter and filling only
- Brush cakes with melted butter.
- Set aside and allow rising to the top.
- In a mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon,
blend the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and
- Spread thickly over the cakes and bake
25 minutes or until golden brown top.