Raised Cornmeal Bread
- 1 - package active dry yeast
1 - cup lukewarm milk
2 - Tablespoons butter
2 - Tablespoons sugar
2 - teaspoons salt
2 - cups all-purpose flour (plus), sifted
1/2 - cup stone-ground cornmeal
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a small sauce pan, heat milk until hot.
- Allow to cool 5
minutes and add the yeast.
- Next, add the butter, sugar and salt.
Stir and pour into mixing bowl.
- Gradually begin adding the flour.
- Continue to mix until you add
all the flour.
- Place bowl in a warm spot and allow to rise 1 hour or
until double in size.
- Add the cornmeal and blend into the dough.
- Remove from bowl and knead on floured board to make dough
- Add small amounts of flour if you need to get the
consistency you desire.
- Place in greased bowl, cover with plastic
wrap and let rise for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from bowl and shape into a loaf.
- Place in loaf pan (3-1/2
x 7-1/2 inches), cover, and let rise until double in size.