Makes 8 servings
- Rub the beef with salt and pepper,
place beef in a large bowl.
- In a
saucepan, place vinegar, water,
onions, bay leaf, peppercorns, sugar, and cloves and heat.
However, you do not want to boil.
- Pour the heated mixture over the beef
and partially cover.
- Cool, then cover securely and place in
refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
- Turn each day.
- In a roasting pan at moderate
heat, melt shortening.
- Dredge beef with flour and
quickly sear beef in shortening, turning to brown all
- Pour vinegar mixture into beef
pan, reduce heat to low and
simmer sauerbraten for 2 or 3
- Remove the beef and cover with
aluminum foil to keep warm.
- You want to cook down the
- Strain the liquid and return
- Thicken mixture with flour to
make smooth gravy.
- Add the ginger, allspice, and