Basic Chicken Stock
- 5 - pounds chicken bones, with meat
10 - quarts cold water
- 1 - cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 - cup carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 - cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 - bay leaf
- 1/8 - teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 - teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 - stems parsley
- 1 - whole clove
In a stock pot set at moderate heat,
place chicken bones and cover with 5 quarts of water.
water to a boil and blanch the bones.
Drain bones and rinse in cold
water. Drain the water from the stock pot.
Place the stock pot back
on stove and add the chicken bones. Add 5 quarts of cold water.
the onion, carrot, and celery, and the spice sachet. Reduce heat to
low and simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
Skim fat from the surface and add
any water to keep bones covered. When done, strain the stock through cheesecloth lined colander.
Cool and refrigerate.