Perfect Food, Picnic, Tailgate, Backyard Recipes and more...
Google
 
Web Alan's Kitchen Recipes

HomeUltimate Picnic Getaways | Arizona | Contact Us | About Us

Food, Cooking, Picnic, Tailgate, & Backyard Recipes plus more...

Features:

 

Ultimate Arizona Picnic Getaway
Ft. Lowell Museum

Ft. Lowell copyright map by Alan Eastep

2900 N. Craycroft Road
Tucson, AZ 85712
Phone: (520) 885-3832

The Spanish and Mexican government control the Presidio of Tucson from 1776-1828 and between 1840-1846. During the Mexican War in 1846, upon the arrival of the Mormon Battalion, Mexican soldiers surrender the Presidio. For only a short time, the Mormon Battalion control the Presidio. In present downtown Tucson, Washington, Main, Pennington, and Church Streets border the old Presidio.

James Gadsden, American Minister to Mexico, secures an agreement with Mexico to purchase a small strip of land in southwestern New Mexico and all the land south of the Gila River in Arizona. Tucson is the largest community.

Because the U.S. Government agrees to control the Indians in the new area, the Army assigns troops to the region. Between 1856-1859, Captain Richard S. Ewell commands a small garrison at a post they call Camp near Tucson. Ewell becomes famous as a Confederate general.

In the early part of the Civil War, regular troops vacate Arizona. Confederate Captain Sherrod Hunter, under orders from Shelby, captures Tucson. The California Volunteers, Union troops, retake Tucson and establish the Post at Tucson. They set up their post west of Main Street and South of Congress. The post remains active until September 1864. The Army reestablishes the post in June 1865. The California Volunteers leave in 1866. Two months later, C Troop, U.S. 1st Cavalry Regiment takes up station.

These regular troops rename the post after Colonel Charles R. Lowell, mortally wounded at the Battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia. By the end of 1866, the post reverts from fort to camp.

In 1873, the Army closes Camp Lowell and moves it eastward to Rillito Creek. Lt. Colonel Eugene A. Carr, U.S. 5th Cavalry picks the new site. On March 8, 1873, Camp Lowell becomes the headquarters of the U.S. 5th Cavalry Regiment.

In 1879, it again becomes knows as Fort Lowell. During the Geronimo Campaign, it serves a supply depot. On January 8, 1891, the Army abandons the site.

Today, Fort Lowell is a Tucson City Park. The remaining buildings house a museum.

The Fort Lowell Museum is located in the reconstructed Commanding Officer's quarters of Old Fort Lowell, originally established in 1873. The museum features exhibits about military life on the Arizona frontier.

The museum is located in Old Fort Lowell Park at the corner of Cracroft and Fort Lowell Road in Tucson. Walking tours, lectures, living history events are featured as special events.

Museum hours: Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

 
 
� 2006 Alan's KitchenPowered by ...
Reproduction of material from any AlansKitchen pages 
without written permission is strictly prohibited
E-mail | AlansKitchen Privacy Policy