P.O. Box D
Jerome, Arizona 86331
Phone: (928) 634-5381
The park is located in the town of Jerome just off State Route
89A, on Douglas Road.
Jerome's modern history began in 1876 when three prospectors
staked claims on rich copper deposits. They sold out to a group,
which formed the United Verde Copper Company in 1883. The resultant
mining camp of board and canvas shacks was named in honor of Eugene
Jerome, the venture's principal backer. Hopes for the enterprise ran
high, but the costs of operating, especially for transportation,
outstripped profits, and the company folded in less than two years.
It took the vision and vast financial resources of a new owner,
William A. Clark, to bring in a narrow gauge railroad and reduce
freighting costs. By the early 20th century, the United Verde was
the largest producing copper mine in the Arizona Territory. Jerome
was becoming a frame and brick town, and could boast two churches,
an opera house, a school and several civic buildings.
In 1912, James S. Douglas purchased and began development of the
Little Daisy Mine. By 1916, Jerome had two bonanza mines. Copper
production peaked in 1929, but the Depression and low grade ore
deposits reversed the fortunes of the town.
The Little Daisy shut down in 1938. Phelps Dodge took over the
United Verde in 1935, but loss of profits brought the operation and
Jerome's mining days to an end in 1953.
The Douglas Mansion has been an eye-catching landmark in Jerome
since 1916, when James S. Douglas built it on the hill just above
his Little Daisy Mine.
Douglas designed the house as a hotel for mining officials and
investors as well as for his own family. It featured a wine cellar,
billiard room, marble shower, steam heat, and, much ahead of its
time, a central vacuum system. Douglas was most proud of the fact
that the house was constructed of adobe bricks that were made on the
He also built the Little Daisy Hotel near the mine as a dormitory
for the miners. The concrete structure still stands.
This former home is now a museum devoted to history of the Jerome
area and the Douglas family. The museum features exhibits of
photographs, artifacts, and minerals in addition to a video
presentation and a 3-D model of the town with its underground mines.
One room, the Douglas library, is restored as a period room. There
are more displays outside along with a picnic area offering a
beautiful panoramic view of the Verde Valley.