Death Valley National Park - BEST Places to Picnic

P.O. Box 579
Death Valley, California 92328

Phone
Visitor Information
(760) 786-3200

WELCOME to Death Valley!

Death Valley National Park: A Land of Extremes

Hottest, Driest, Lowest: A superlative desert of streaming sand dunes, snow-capped mountains, multicolored rock layers, water-fluted canyons and three million acres of stone wilderness. Home to the Timbisha Shoshone and to plants and animals unique to the harshest deserts. A place of legend and a place of trial.

Scotty's Castle
Hidden in the green oasis of Grapevine Canyon in far northern Death Valley, the Death Valley Ranch, or Scotty's Castle as it is more commonly known, is a window into the life and times of the Roaring 20's and Depression 30's. It was and is an engineer's dream home, a wealthy matron's vacation home and a man-of-mystery's hideout and getaway. 

Walter Scott, Death Valley Scotty, convinced everyone that he had built the castle with money from his rich secret mines in the area. Albert Mussey Johnson actually built the house as a vacation getaway for himself and his wife Bessie. Scotty was the mystery, the cowboy, and the entertainer, but he was also a friend. Albert was the brains and the money. 

Two men as different as night and day, from different worlds and with different visions - who shared a dream.

Furnace Creek Inn
The historic Furnace Creek Inn opened in 1927 by the Pacific Coast Borax Company and played a pivotal role in the transformation of Death Valley from mining wasteland to treasured national park.

Death Valley Ghost Towns
Scattered throughout Death Valley are the silent ruins of broken dreams.

Rhyolite Ghost Town
100 years ago, Rhyolite was the largest city in southern Nevada with more than 10,000 residents. Yet after only a decade, the town became a ghostly remnant of itself.

Keane Wonder Mine
Once the most productive and richest gold mine in Death Valley, the Keane Wonder Mine is temporarily closed to public access due to mine safety hazards.

Places to Picnic:

• Emigrant
  • Wildrose Canyon

Page 1 of 1  More Picnic Sites