Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic
N. Museum Pointe
Crystal River, Florida 34428
Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park
is a Florida State Park located in Homosassa, off U.S. 19. It contains
the ruins of a sugar plantation owned by David Levy Yulee. Yulee was
part of the Territorial Legislative Council, and was a member of the
U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate after Florida became a
state. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places
on August 12, 1970.
The original plantation covered more than 5,000
acres, worked by approximately 1,000 slaves. Among the crops raised
were sugar cane, citrus, and cotton. The mill (which was steam-driven)
ran from 1851 to 1864. It produced sugar, syrup and molasses, the last
of which was part of the rum-making process. Remaining is the
stonework (foundation, well and chimney), a cane press, and some of
the other machinery.
Welcome to Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic
This site was once part of a thriving sugar
plantation owned by David Levy Yulee. Yulee was a member of the
Territorial Legislative Council, and served in the U.S. House of
Representatives and U.S. Senate after Florida statehood.
The park contains the remnants of the
once-thriving 5,100-acre sugar plantation: a forty-foot limestone
masonry chimney, iron gears, and a cane press. The steam-driven mill
operated from 1851 to 1864 and served as a supplier of sugar products
for southern troops during the Civil War.
Page 1 of 1