The BEST American Picnics Guide
Google
 
Web Alan's Kitchen

FUN Trivia Quizzes | Grocery Shopping Tips | Picnic Menus | Picnic Tips

Home >> BEST Places to Picnic >> New York

 Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Food, Cooking, Picnic, Tailgate, & Backyard Recipes plus more...

 
 
 

 

Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site

Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site - BEST Places to PicnicP.O. Box 1783, Corner of Liberty and Washington Streets
Newburgh, NY 12551
Phone: (845) 562-1195

Directions

From 9W North: Turn left onto Broadway (Heading toward the Hudson River), turn right at Liberty St. Take 3rd left onto LaFayette St. for parking.

From 9W South: Turn right onto Broadway (Heading toward the Hudson River), turn right at Liberty St. Take 3rd left onto LaFayette St. for parking.

From I-84: Exit 10s, follow 9W south, turn left onto Broadway (heading toward the Hudson River), turn right at Liberty St. Take 3rd left onto LaFayette St. for parking

WELCOME to Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site

Visit the nation's first publicly owned historic site and tour the rooms where American history was made. In the critical months that General George Washington spent at Newburgh, he made some of his most important contributions to shaping the American republic. 

It was here that Washington rejected the idea that he should be king after the war; ended the Newburgh conspiracy, preventing military control of the government; created and awarded the Badge of Military Merit, forerunner of the Purple Heart; and circulated a letter to State Governors that influenced the writing of the Constitution.

History of the house

The first fieldstone farmhouse on the site was built in 1750 by the Huguenot couple Jonathan and Tryntje Hasbrouck, who operated a gristmill among other activities such as farming and commerce. The house was surrounded by a large stock farm. 

It underwent two significant enlargements before it served as a headquarters. In order to do so, an additional separate kitchen building was added, leaving the house in its present eight-room state. Existing buildings such as stables and barns were also enlarged and improved on the site. 

Most Army buildings were removed by the Quartermaster-General's Office at the end of the war, with the exception of a "Ho:(use) in the garden", which was given to Mrs. Hasbrouck. It is no longer existent.

The Tower of Victory

In 1850, it was acquired by the State of New York and became the first publicly operated historic site in the country. 

Today, it is a museum furnished to recreate its condition during the Revolutionary War. It covers an area of about seven acres (2.8 ha) with three buildings: Hasbrouck House, a museum (built in 1910) a monument named the "Tower of Victory", which was completed in 1890 after 4 years of construction in order to commemorate the centennial of Washington's stay, and a maintenance shed/garage built in the Colonial Revival style in 1942.

Also on the property is the grave of Uzal Knapp, one of the longest-lived veterans of the Continental Army. For many years it was believed that he had served as one of Washington's personal guards, but more recently historians have come to doubt this. The gravestone, though simple, is the work of the Studio of Henry Kirke Brown.

There is a statue entitled "The Minuteman" by Henry Hudson Kitson erected on the grounds on November 11, 1924.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. It is also one of the more than 2,000 contributing properties to the East End Historic District, the most of any district in the state.

Washington's headquarters

Hasbrouck House served as Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War from April 1782 until August 1783. It was chosen for its comparatively safe location north of the strategically important West Point. 

The 7,000 troops of the Continental Army were encamped near what is today known as Vails Gate, a few miles to the southwest.

In the headquarters at Hasbrouck House, Washington rejected a suggestion to institute an American monarchy and defused the threat of a mutiny among his officers over pay and pensions. 

He also created and first awarded the Badge of Military Merit which became the forerunner of the Purple Heart. On April 19, 1783, he issued an order for the "cessation of hostilities"', which formally ended the fighting of the Revolutionary War.

  • Attractions
    • Brochures
    • Educational Services
    • Group Tours
    • Guided Tours
    • Historic Site
    • Picnic Area
    • Scenic Views
    • Visitors Center/Museum

 Page 1 of 1  More Picnic Sites


Powered by ... All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
Email | AlansKitchen Privacy Policy | Clair & Esther Eastep Save-A Park Foundation | Thank you

Contact Us | About Us | Site Map