Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 6 min
- 16 smelts, cleaned, but with heads intact
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons bacon fat or cooking oil
- Wipe the fish dry with a paper towel,
season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, mix cornmeal and
- Roll smelts in mixture.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the butter and
bacon fat, or until it almost smokes.
- Fry the smelts, 2 or 3 at a time, for
about 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Page 1 of 1